Creating Custom Content

Guest vandam

ATTENTION TO FORUM ADMINISTRATORS: DO NOT REMOVE THIS TOPIC, I FEEL IT IS A RIGHT OF MINE AS A SUPPORTER OF MANGOS TO ASK THESE QUESTIONS, REMOVE THEM MAKES YOU JUDGMENTAL AND YOU GUYS NEED TO KNOW IF YOU WANT TO BE A LEARNING ENGINE CREATING CUSTOM CONTENT IS PART OF IT, HOW ARE WE SUPPOSE TO LEARN IF WE CANT CREATE?

Okay I understand that Mango's said no to fun servers, but isn't this project all about creating and learning? So why not support and see what people can come up with? I understand if a person comes out here and says well here is 10000 venders, that isn't creating custom content. but creating custom features, custom dungeons, custom things to a core project that is about learning to program and this type of place should support the creation of these things.

This topic i created to find out how many people support the creation of custom content (Not SQL Venders, items) But more Programming Custom content.

No custom content, can be server, I am not talking about custom maps, custom looking weapons, new skins, but say you want to make a new way SM is made maybe a MINI raid, and to program a boss or a npc takes skill in Scripting.

Or a new item that say takes a person from point a to point b by using a teleport skill.

that kinda stuff. im not talking about core modification just server manipulating the way that mangos does things.

find some unused spell and replace its implementation with what you want

This isnt just about spell creation, this is about developing new monsters, new things, into the instance not client side but how server side sees it.

You need to tell server when a spell procs, how it procs, how far it procs, does it have phases. but this wasnt the point, the point is why doesn't mangos aknowlage custom content. they kinda are saying that they dont support custom content, such as also for a funserver, but what i'm trying to get threw is that there should be support for custom content development as long as it is to a point. Such as :

- No Venders: Anyone can make a vender, make a sql statement and tell him what equiptment. not hard.

- No Custom Items: No Custom Weapons, Items, Armor, Potions, Scrolls, ECT. (Thats Funserver content)

What what i think should be Able to do and is programming to learn :

- Custom Instances : Such as a custom Scarlet Monistery.

- Custom Objects : Such as Teleporters and teleport items.

There is endless that im not gonna list everything that can be and would be made by others but i just think its easyer just to say we allow custom content to be here if it is non sql based.

Really, what is stopping you? If you want to make funserver items, events, whatever, you're absolutely 100% free to do exactly that. The source is there, go with it!

But if you can't do that yourself and expect Mangos developers to, in my opinion, waste their time working on funserver content, I suggest you go to another core. There are still a lot of things not working as they should, the reason I use Mangos is because the dev's prioritize that above "fun" elements.

Besides, new spells with procrate and phases can be stored in the database, not in the server. Same with custom vendors and items (in fact, on the server I work for we have a special "banhammer" item) - this is fully suported by Mangos and has nothing to do with the core.

Instances then are (usually) implemented through ScriptDev2 and those too you can customize as much as you want. For example, I have written a few custom scripts for Sunwell Plateau to get it working (to a point) for our TBC server. Again, this is ScriptDev2, not Mangos. Custom teleports too are stored in the database and fully supported by Mangos, those too you can add yourself.

Long story short: everything I have heard you propose up till now is either SQL or SD2 based and has absolutely nothing to do with Mangos. And how exactly are you supporting the project anyway, I don't see a donator title under your username, nor do I see any patches proposed / comitted by you?

kinda same goal as http://udbforums.org/index.php?topic=14550.0

its not that mangos forbids custom stuff, its just that DB content isnt discussed here, u will see hundreds of closed topics around

yea i know u are not going to talk about well known game content, but still

i keep a forum to 3rd party projects related to mangos http://mangos.osh.nu/ currently offline to server maintainence, but if u are interested in starting project forum support there let me know

I dont think you guys understand, what im trying to say. what im trying to say is that the Creation of Custom content, if someone has a C++ Script they have made that is made for custom content if it is posted on this forum the user gets banned, topic removed.

I remember the rule "Creation non blizz like items is against the rules on this forum" wich I am trying to say why not, create a Forum named Custom Content, and say this is where you can post your scripts/c++ code in that you can share. people love developing stuff, why not support that?

Like say this, what would you say if i asked this :

I am trying to create a Custom Hwearthstone, I am new to C++ and LUA Programming thou i have PHP Background, can someone give me a helping hand in starting this, i just need help creating some of the script so i can get a good start in the general direction. could someone please help me?

Thats not asking you to develop the script its asking some people who have knowlage of C++ and want to or will help with this issue, now may i ask if any of you can actualy answer that question ? what would your responce be to it?

what would your responce be to it?

My first response would be to this:

I FEEL IT IS A RIGHT OF MINE AS A SUPPORTER OF MANGOS

First, perhaps you did make a donation. Let me enlighten you to the definition of donation:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/donation

"DONATION, contracts. The act by which the owner of a thing, voluntarily transfers the title and possession of the same, from himself to another person, without any consideration; a gift"

The key here is "without any consideration" meaing you get nothing out of it. If you were a contributor (which your current status does not reflect) that donation gives you no special favors or rights- by the simple definition of the word.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/donation <-- a donation is defined as a gift

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gift

"1. Something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation."

Now, on to your other complaints.

MaNGOS Forums have never been the place for discussing content- which is what you're trying to do. I hold no special status here, but my personal opinion is that what you're trying to do does not belong on this forum. If those that administer MaNGOS Forums allow it to continue, that is of course their right. However, again in my opinion, you have no right to make demands of anyone. Typing in caps and red doesn't change forum policy.

My first response would be to this:

[/u][/color][/b]First, perhaps you did make a donation. Let me enlighten you to the definition of donation:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/donation

"DONATION, contracts. The act by which the owner of a thing, voluntarily transfers the title and possession of the same, from himself to another person, without any consideration; a gift"

The key here is "without any consideration" meaing you get nothing out of it. If you were a contributor (which your current status does not reflect) that donation gives you no special favors or rights- by the simple definition of the word.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/donation <-- a donation is defined as a gift

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gift

"1. Something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation."

MaNGOS Forums have never been the place for discussing content- which is what you're trying to do. I hold no special status here, but my personal opinion is that what you're trying to do does not belong on this forum. If those that administer MaNGOS Forums allow it to continue, that is of course their right. However, again in my opinion, you have no right to make demands of anyone. Typing in caps and red doesn't change forum policy.

No one is demanding, i just dont want them to Over bounce this topic and jsut remove. i feel like o do have a right as a person who is learning.

2nd Sure ill donate whats your CC Number?

I dont think you guys understand, what im trying to say. what im trying to say is that the Creation of Custom content, if someone has a C++ Script they have made that is made for custom content if it is posted on this forum the user gets banned, topic removed.

I've yet to see this happen. I've been here for a few years.

Besides, scripts should probably go on ScriptDev2 anyway.

I'm sure this discussion would be welcomed at SD2 if it is in regards to custom scripts as you said. Also in SD2 be sure to look in the custom folder for some ideas you can run with. People of the community are very willing to help I found if you ask for help in the right place and very picky if you do it in the wrong place =)

i get what hes saying and i totally agree. right now im working on a project that involves modding the core to allow for two new races and classes.

In order to understand how the core tells the system to create a Human Deathknight or an Undead Rouge, shouldnt you beable to tinker with the code before compiling it?

as a side note he was expressing his freedom to implore the admins of MaNGOS to NOT remove this thread.

Secondly, i will admit that the caps and red font weren't really needed.

third, its not fair to put him down for asking a simple question as there were no demands being made - again a simple explanation of his position and a request for his thread not to be removed.

EDIT:

as for you saying hes NOT a supporter of MaNGOS... well every one on here is a supporter of mangos because we are all willing to take our time to ensure that this project stays alive. Even if you cant contribute a donation of cash, you can still contribute a donation of your time to see that this project isnt shut down.

if the discussion is purely about modifying mangos code to make custom stuff, then thats fine.

If you want to discuss scripting, then go to www.scriptdev2.com.

If you want to discuss database content, then go to your DB authors forum.

Due to the way this thread seems to be heading, its now going to be closed.

You are free to modify any part of the source code you want to, no one will stop you doing that.

If you have a specific question about a specific problem with a change you want to make, then by all means make a thread and ask the question. But this thread does not seem to serve much of a purpose.

You are also free to post any 'funserver' type code modifications you make, so that they can be used by others. Just because they might not be acceptable to make it into the GiT repository does not mean that others might not find them interesting.

And for future reference, big, bold, red, underlined openings to threads, making demands to the forum staff will not get you anywhere,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use