MaNGOSCMS - What do YOU want to see in it?

MrFreak

Hello Talendrys,

the purpose of the CMS is to make it easily possible for everyone to realize a website for their MaNGOS server. In the past there have been only a few projects like that and all of them are quite buggy or outdated since a long time. The CMS should provide a frontend for guests and players and a backend for the admins and gamemasters.

It won't be like a forum. Database stuff may be supported only in a small grade because there are way too much options.

So far the following is done already:

- register on the site (the same username and passwords works in the WoW client then)

- display the available realms with their population

- provide details about how to play on the server

- show you details about every character associated with your account

- delete accounts (available only to admins)

- create and delete news (available only to admins)

- log system (every created and deleted item is logged, also every single log in)

This is a short overview. I left out one or two internal features for security or search engine ranking purposes. Sorry for being so much unprecise in my original post.

Thanks for your interest in this topic!

Hm... would get the opportunity to have a view on database for players (such as wowhead, drop rates, mobs,... etc).

Also having an interface making easier the DB management for administrators. Actually, it's quite difficult to know what's the purpose of which DB. Having such project would help:

1) To document actual DB schema.

2) To hide complexity of it.

Maybe a bug report place where it would be easy to see what's being fixed, what's have been fixed, what remain and for which category.

These are all ideas... feel free to challenge about it :-)

I think that, in the same idea of your unique ID between game and the CMS, you should get the possibility to select one avatar t o discuss on the server (but don't hide real account behind it to avoid alt's).

Also, a system that would cover all mangos branches (zero, one, two, three, four) to migrate from one to another...

For administrators: A way to copy characters from a realm to another or create one from nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see an efficient phpBB3 integration along with just plugins for WordPress. That way the headache of creating a CMS is not there. Most developed CMS's for games have been a disaster with security holes. They all eventually get hacked, with a WP plugin set, we could have many themes and have great design flexibility while having options to pick and choose our functionality.:cool:

Going modular opens the playing field up. (pun intended):D

Here's what I'd aim for to start off (I know many of these things are already done or finished):

1. EZ-Mode scripted installer. Launch with it. (easy for everyone, less help desk work for you)

2. Mangos/Realm management and/or monitoring (server status, online avatars, created avatars, stats, etc)

3. Character management (name change, race change, password reset, profile info, etc)

4. News / F.A.Q. / Help module (naturally)

5. Addon module (for admins to list version specific addons for use on their servers)

6. Armory script integration module (not sure if anything really even needs to be done here other than provide a link)

7. Forum script integration (tedious work, maybe not for initial launch, allow forum to authenticate through your system/mangos)

8. Simple template system (must)

9. Bugtracker was mentioned earlier, awesome idea, maybe in-game ticket integration as well with Mangos RA?

10. Security, already mentioned, but worth mentioning again. Just make sure your SQL code is rock solid, you're using as limited permissions as possible, and your PHP doesn't leave any queries open for injection.

I would also think about things such as, preventing users from using "root" as their MySQL user for your CMS system because chances are, they're running it on the same server/database as Mangos.

Later on down the road, some module like wowhead.com with expansion specific items/objects/spells would be a great tool for both users and admins. It doesn't need to be as advanced or in-depth as wowhead and in fact, you could probably use wowheads system for assets since their site queries use item/object/spell id's already.

Really interested in seeing what you turn out with this. Would love to see something like this that is being worked on and updated. A good script like this would really go hand in hand with Mangos!

• 2 weeks later...

This whole Idea sounds pretty much what I have been looking for for running my own private server and community.

the only things I can contribute would be something like a modular front end to go with it so admins can pick and choose certain things to show, like realm status, player count etc. might be too tedious, but this whole concept sounds amazing and I want to play with it

Be nice to see a decent new CMS on the scene ,currently there are only two real contenders being fusionCMS and the leaked version of warcryCMS the rest are well pretty pish tbh ,Personally i would like to see these features added

1/ Ability to make custom pages via ACP

2/ A basic integrated php/mysql forum (visit heroeswow for a example) unless the mentioned phpbb forum bridge would allow members to post and comment without having to sign in twice (single sign on service) i.e once for cms main page and again for the forum as that's just stupid :/ ,also be nice to consider ipboard instead of phpbb if a intergrated forum is out of the question as it is a far superior product

3/ A functioning Armory a nice looking one as in aquaflameCMS (only feature i liked),3d Model viewer not a necessity as can be glitchy

4/ A set of intergrated modules as follows which can be enabled or disabled by choice , Online Players list / Auction House viewer / Bugtracker which maybe could reward players with in game currency or items on approved reports to increase reports of issues / Changelogs / PVP Stats / Character tools (faction change / appearance change / name change / race change) a fully functioning store which allows items,console commands and querys to be added via store acp ,with currency for store being either vote points ,donate points or in game gold / server status block for front page / world first achievements showing on a sideblock or page

5/ Vote page which will reward with vote points enabling you to buy things in the store

6/ Donation page with multiple options i/e paypal / payment wall etc

7/ A guild page listing server guilds and info about them ,members etc maybe even raid progression stats and guild rank if applicable

8/ and to work with multiple cores not just mangos ;)

9/ a getmangos store page where people could make themes and submit and sell them officially with ofc getmangos taking a small % of each sell ;)

so in a nutshell all the features fusioncms and warcrycms current has and more so most especially if you want it to be a worthy competitor or better than what is currently out there.

Hey Mrfreak,

As we talked about on Skype...

I'd like to have the CMS email GMs/admins on new tickets created in the server.

This will mean the CMS will need to somehow grab the tickets from the database to know if there are new ones, could that be done via a cronjob?

Account registration for new players should have something like https://www.keycaptcha.com to help combat the spam.

Module boxes that can be added either left or right of the news section in the middle should include:

Shout box

Server listing (including population, uptime, total accounts, logged in players)

Guild listing (lists most active guilds? - Could be based on amount of members or something?)

News section (middle of page) - Ability for normal users to leave comments (comments should be able to be disabled on a per article basis). - Time/date of article

Who-is-on-line block (either lists individual names of members on-line or just a total number of people on-line on the website)

Poll block - (ability to take a pol and set questions / answers in the admin panel)

Another thing I'd like to see, I doubt it's possible, but perhaps a way to see/throttle packets, in the event some one wants to try and oh, i don't know ddos the server, perhaps, maybe a way to flow the control from same ips. From my understanding this will need to be run via the same machine the server is on, and part of the job of packet managing would be ISP's duty, or rahter a way to limit the number of connections an ip can have open? Just a thought. And I still wanna play with it lol

That isn't possible. You have to use a firewall for that on the server.

Maybe in Windows, but that is cake in Linux. Think about it. Linux has iptables, which CAN easily control flow rates and prevent DDoS attacks automatically. Simply create a page that allows an admin to configure whatever, have PHP spit out a simple bash script to execute, then prompt for the root password and execute the script. Easy as pie.

Now, I have watched this thread for a while, and the problem I see is what has kept me away from other CMS sites. Too damn much! I just want to allow people to register so they can login and play. An armory would be nice, but not a game-breaker. I do not want forums. I already have one. I do not need payment methods like PayPal because I host a server for fun with friends and family. I do not want things querying my WoW databases for AH and what-not. I do not need polls, my forums do that already. I do not want to sell or buy anything, themes or other. News would be OK, but I already have that on my site. Make it optional, like a plugin. I do not want a bug-tracker since it would fracture us in the sense that some players may report to the server tracker and NOT the official one here. I just want some basic functionality, not an all-in-one solution. Let ME do my site news. Let ME do my own forums. Let ME handle reporting bugs from in-game tickets to the official tracker as a GM on my server.

In other words, how about a basic CMS that allows account creation, and make the other things separate plugins. Theme support being built-in is good, but the rest should be optional. I'd be game for an armory and the option of a news page admins can manage. In other words, I do not want an entire site solution. I have everything but a way for characters to create accounts right now. I do not want to change that.

Maybe in Windows, but that is cake in Linux. Think about it. Linux has iptables, which CAN easily control flow rates and prevent DDoS attacks automatically. Simply create a page that allows an admin to configure whatever, have PHP spit out a simple bash script to execute, then prompt for the root password and execute the script. Easy as pie.

What you say about loading a bash script is true but it isn't useful in a CMS. I can't determine anything network related with PHP. It can't create automatically rules to ban attacking IPs. The sysadmin has to create the rules him-/herself and so it doesn't help him much if he/she can execute these rules in the CMS, especially if he/she is already logged into the console to watch the network activity.

Your plugin idea is great! I will have to check how I can realize it but I will try to realize that for sure!

Thanks for your ideas!

Archived