MaNGOSCMS - What do YOU want to see in it?

MrFreak

What you say about loading a bash script is true but it isn't useful in a CMS. I can't determine anything network related with PHP. It can't create automatically rules to ban attacking IPs. The sysadmin has to create the rules him-/herself and so it doesn't help him much if he/she can execute these rules in the CMS, especially if he/she is already logged into the console to watch the network activity.

You don't have to check. Let me give you an example. You have a page that you configure the conditions for an attack (so many pings or whatever within a minute). You set the ban period (something between one and sixty minutes) on the page. You press "apply" or whatever. It generates a basic iptables rule (literally, two lines) that will block an address if it meets your condition. It then calls a shell and executes those two lines as root. Now iptables handles everything. It will handle detection of attacks, banning, and unbanning automatically. No more need for PHP unless you decide to change your conditions.

I can whip this up in a matter of minutes. This is REALLY simple, but it will only work on Linux/Unix/BSD.

Those are general/basic rules then. I thought we talk about custom rules to mitigate attacks which aren't filtered by pretty simple basic rules. On the other hand this is a trade off for the general webserver security because you can't disable certain PHP functions to execute commands on the server. Personally I prefer a more hardened webserver than saving a few minutes of work for creating some rules manually.

I think the best thing we could do it fork joomla or drupal and add some mangos changes to it. (if we're doing php)

Why not Wordpress? It has much better features than joomla (instant saving of written text for example). I don't know what drupal does better than WP but I think WP is a much nicer and user friendly cms than joomla.

From my understanding D3thw0lf, MrFreak wanted this to be completely customized, not just a clone and rewrite of something that has already been done in the past :P But Wordpress would theoretically be a good frame work to build on, I personally, wouldn't have the time or patients to do it myself, or alone.

• 2 weeks later...
From my understanding D3thw0lf, MrFreak wanted this to be completely customized, not just a clone and rewrite of something that has already been done in the past :P But Wordpress would theoretically be a good frame work to build on, I personally, wouldn't have the time or patients to do it myself, or alone.

I know ;) I only wanted to say that because s1 mentioned drupal and joomla and I think when he would fork he should use wordpress. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How is the development going? I thought about writing a python admin tool because the current mangos "shell" is only accessible from the server binary itself which is really uncomfortable. I would also like to see admin tools in that CMS (send this item/gold there from here, level up this guy, etc).

Please, update the ongoing status. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • madmax unpinned this topic

Archived