[Track] Memory Leaks

• 39 years later...

Using revision; [7694]

Anyhow, with around 250~testers i've got around 2Gb memory used, so i was surprised that the memory usage was still 2Gb when the amount of testers had droped to 35~..

So i would really like some pointers on how to track down memory leaks like this (using Windows Server 2008)..

You coulduse something like Rational PurifyPlus. The version that you will likely find around the interweb works with VS 2003 and 2005, but you can download an update for 2008 from IBM. Each of the project files needs to be modified slightly to work with it, namely non-incremental linking in the linker settings and fixed base address in the compiler settings.

Using revision; [7694]

Anyhow, with around 250~testers i've got around 2Gb memory used, so i was surprised that the memory usage was still 2Gb when the amount of testers had droped to 35~..

So i would really like some pointers on how to track down memory leaks like this (using Windows Server 2008)..

It's can be normal if you have disabled grid unload in configs.

So could someone post their memory usage <vs> testers...

35 testers -> 1.2GB~ (seems 'kinda' normal)

160 testers -> 1.9GB~

back down to 50 testers -> 2.0GB~

GrindUnload = 1

Vmaps = Off (except instances)

Any other variables to tweak with that affect memory usage?

Like the unload times for grid / instances?

You coulduse something like Rational PurifyPlus. The version that you will likely find around the interweb works with VS 2003 and 2005, but you can download an update for 2008 from IBM. Each of the project files needs to be modified slightly to work with it, namely non-incremental linking in the linker settings and fixed base address in the compiler settings.

it would be really nice if u provide steb by step for linux users, i tryied many thing, but was unable to get purify working, i googled etc. i still cant get it to work.

so if u skilled and have some time, it would be really nice to get some help. (i am on debian5)

then i will provide many many logs

EDIT: anyway i will do promised valgrind logs, with clean mangos+sd2 (logging just started)

and if u want i can give u access to our test server, so maybe u can setup it:) PM ..

The 'leaks' seems to come from arena/battleground..

Not sure tho, will need to do some more tests =/...

Very annoying to have mangos use upp 99% memory no matter how many testers...

can you run mangos with valgrind, and post logs here?

I also have the similar problem. I have 2 realms on the same computer with 2GB ram running Ubuntu server 9.04. Server is only for me and my friends, there are never more then 10 players online, so don't mind the configuration. Anyway when realms are started at the beginning they take about 400-500 MB (with vmaps on and grid unload on). As the time goes by both realms grow in memory untill both take about 1GB (1 can be 700MB, other one 1400MB it doesn't matter, the point is they fill out the memory), then one realm dies, and if the restarter is turned off other one continues to grow until he takes about 2GB of memory, then it dies too. I've noticed that sometimes it take more than a day for both realms to fill up the memory and crash, sometimes they crash 2 times per day with same number of players online. I am now using rev 7721, but it happened before too.

The OS will manage to use swap file to increase the memory. But probably you will see some lost of performance because this.

He's runnin' on Windows, it's called paging file there.

Yeah that's why you've got your servers running despite the fact that physical memory is full. System is forced to use virtual memory, which is damn slow (HDD << RAM at speeds), and CPU-cycles-consuming.

He's runnin' on Windows, it's called paging file there.

Yeah that's why you've got your servers running despite the fact that physical memory is full. System is forced to use virtual memory, which is damn slow (HDD << RAM at speeds), and CPU-cycles-consuming.

SSD drive :P?

SSD drive :P?

Ain't you rich... Still it's sloooooow ;)

EDIT: Recently I am having some performance issues too. But from the client side. I dunno if it is new addon's or new revision's fault, but when I log into the game, I get huge graphical lag. Like... I can't see water, mobs, spell effects, etc. They are being loaded with 20-40 seconds delay. I can live with it, but why would this happen?

BTW. Sometimes I get a huge fps drop after this delay.

EDIT: Recently I am having some performance issues too. But from the client side. I dunno if it is new addon's or new revision's fault, but when I log into the game, I get huge graphical lag. Like... I can't see water, mobs, spell effects, etc. They are being loaded with 20-40 seconds delay. I can live with it, but why would this happen?

confirmed, i have that too with my 2.4.3 client and mangos-0.12 branch. someone changed something in the grid/map system?

ps: i only have 10-20 seconds delay, didn't have 40seconds yet :)

confirmed, i have that too with my 2.4.3 client and mangos-0.12 branch. someone changed something in the grid/map system?

ps: i only have 10-20 seconds delay, didn't have 40seconds yet :)

Well, yea I might exaggerate a little here ^^

Time passes slower when you're pissed off.