Begin a Bug's Patch Collection!!!

Hello everyone..

I think with my self for a few days, and i decide to write, =), i want to make one question to Mangos Developers and one to everyone that will see this..

Why we don't begin a bug's patch collection? everybody post some web, forum or whathever, where we can find that patch and apply to our own core?

Exemple:

its a Mangos Member KAPATEJIb

http://getmangos.eu/community/member.php?u=342

they made i lot corrections like, mind fly, mind sear, holy nova, and anothers...

I know that there are other corrections made for other members and many members like me want find them and enjoy them! So, if everyone post something, only bug corrections, not add-patchs like ah-bots, we'll have a great patch collection to make our core much more functional!

Second:

Why Mangos Developers don't include those corrections into the official core? Since those corrections are in agreement with the official game`s functionality?

I hope helped, and one more thing, thanks for the great job. Mangos is great. Thanks.

• 39 years later...
Why Mangos Developers don't include those corrections into the official core? Since those corrections are in agreement with the official game`s functionality?.

Every patch needs to be reviewed by a MaNGOS developer. Since their time is limited, the amount of patches that can be reviewed in a certain time is also limited.

Some patches are hacky and would need a lot of maintenance by the developers in the future (for example hard-coded spell ids etc.) or they do not fix the cause of the problem but just the effect of it.

Although the patch might be considered quite helpful from a user's point-of-view, it would just hide problems and the maintenance would probably need a lot more time than finding a better solution. This is why reviews are necessary.

So whether a patch makes it into the official repository does not only depend on whether they fix certain game aspects but although whether they are well designed and are not considered hacky etc.

Why Mangos Developers don't include those corrections into the official core? Since those corrections are in agreement with the official game`s functionality?

Patch inclusion into the MaNGOS repository depends on two requirements:

• * features have to match the original functionality of WoW.
    * patches need to have sufficient quality.

While in many cases, a patch does exactly result in a feature working like it does on original WoW, the patch is likely to break in future updates.

Consider e.g. a patch that will make Lava cause fire damage in Onyxias Lair. Do you want to have the fire damage only work in the raid zone or in any zone with Lava? We prefer the later result, and thus submitting a patch that only fixes one special case may lead the developers to fixing almost every case.

Including patches in the core does not mean: apply patch, push to github.

It mostly results in: review patch, apply it, melt brain while finding a generic approach, test generic approach, commit and push if it works.