New programmer HELP

Guest westwoodz13

I got a similar question, except I'm more familiar with c++ already, just not with the structure of Mangos and how it operates. Is there somewhere a documentation about where I would find what ?

For example if I'd want to change the formula of Arcane Blast, or Obliterate (just examples) where would I look?

mangos is the union of a core and a database (and .dbc, that are extracted from the client), so it's impossible to hard code every part of the game in the c++ source (no, is possible but not very intelligient) so there are some abilities that need a script or other that are treated "generally".

so, for exemple, the scripting of battlegounds of arenas are done in the code, as some exeption like raise dead ecc, other things like the proc system, the bonus that spells take are taken from database.

there are so many thing to say that probably a dev or a smarter mangos user than me can say them better.... :)

Happy mangos :)

Well thank you that already cleared up a lot for me!

I kinda guessed it was like that, in the SpellsXXX.cpp I did found some spells, but far from all. On the other hand I didnt think that the spell info would be in the .dbc from the wow client .mpq's....

I tried converting Spell.dbc to Spell.csv but I got a lot of numbers, it freaked me out so I rapidly closed it :P.

So if I get this correctly, the way Mangos manages spells info (damage and maybe some other stuff) is to extract it from Spell.dbc but in case that does not give the right result ... its coded in SpellEffects.cpp.

Too bad I didn't find a lot of documentation on how to work with Mangos, it's kinda a figure it out yourself system (which I as a student am not fond of :P) but I'll try to use the search button as much as I can, instead of bugging you people here :).

EDIT: Though any hints on where I can find, or how I can read the CSV properly... cause all those numbers are giving me a headache :) (or if you're not supposed to understand Spell.csv and edit it, how I should overwrite Spell.csv's info)

as general guideline, start looking at mangos's commit and you'll learn quite much from how all is working...

for exemple on spellauras.cpp you will find the script of all the auras used by the spell, on spelleffects.cpp the effects/trigger, on spell.cpp general spell system, on unit.cpp some formulas and other stuff, and so on...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use