How to Recompile a "Repack" Without source code?

• 40 years later...

Hey Well me and a buddy downloaded a repack that is really nice. (I know its a repack blah blah) We know how to compile and such but for this project we have a problem. We dont have the source does we only have like the files that came with the repack. Is their any way that we can recompile so that we can put a C++ Teleporter into the Core and Mayb implement LUA into the core. Please Help :)

Put simply, if you wish to compile your server you will need the source code. As hunuza said, the terms of the GPL license requires that an author supply the source code upon request. MaNGOS follows that license and any "repacks" of MaNGOS must also comply with it.

You really would be better off if you obtained the MaNGOS source right from its origin and learned to add patches into it. You say you're already familiar with using a compiler so that extra step should not be such a great leap. It will not only give you the satisfaction of knowing you've done the job yourself but also allow you to be more familiar with how your server is set up to work.

You'll have to pardon the derision and cynicism you're being greeted with but it has been a rule of long experience that there are far more people out there who simply want to run a server "out of the box", so to speak. As such, they have little interest in the core prinicple of the MaNGOS Foundation, that the project is primarily a learning tool to help developers understand how an MMORPG server works. This translates into you being expected to be at least willing to learn a few basic things, like obtaining, patching, compiling, and configuring your own server.

You have already taken the first step to learning, by asking questions. Now it's up to you if you progress from there.

Yes I have, so to speak. I regularly download, patch, and compile my own server from the MaNGOS source as well as ScriptDev2 and then install my database. Then there is the tweaking and customizations for the server.

About eighteen months past, I began as a clueless "noob" who had no idea where to begin. If I can do it, then so can you. To say you can't learn is just plain lazy on your part. If all you want is a working server handed to you with no cares about how it works, then you have come to the wrong place.

This is what comes of an entire generation raised on game consoles. They expect to simply plug something in and just play.

Sure it is! You don't need to manually assign an IRQ to it in BIOS

Yeah but there's a boatload of these guys that probably would prefer if MaNGOS were a peripheral that you just plugged into a port... or had a web page that worked like Windows Update for patches and optional modifications. Maybe someone should set one up just to mess with their heads.

I smell an April Fool's idea, "Welcome To MaNGOS Update!" :P