Hi guys

Guest Velith

:)I'm new to the forum and just starting a Debian package install of the mangos server. I would appreciate it if some of you would download and test the installer I made. You can pick it up at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mangosrepacks/files/ As this is a fresh start please bear with me. I will be adding a GUI, website, and all files except client files such as maps, vmaps, and dbcs. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated. The sql files included will create the needed databases without having to sort through a ton of updates....

Thx:P

Sorry guys, didn't mean to offend I assure you. I wanted to test out the installer, not issue another website+server in a box. This is a great project that is being developed by the mangos team. I respect their work highly. I have noticed a few people can be rather caustic, no matter what the forum. Thanks for the feed back anyways.

Peace

PS if you actually checked out the files you would find the source code and build install script there...

I looked. It's a great idea in so far as what you've tried to do.

You'll have to pardon some of the jaded views and cynicism you may encounter. The staggering volume of repacks and related issues that have come and gone in these forums makes many long-time regulars here wary of any offering that remotely resembles such material.

However, you should also know that by offering pre-compiled binaries, even with a spiffy installer, makes it a repack. Part of the educational aspects of the MaNGOS project is to encourage people to compile their own server from source. Repacks bypass that step and many people that use them are not the least bit interested in learning a damn thing. They just want a server that works right out of the box with very little effort.

Now, if you were to offer a Linux/Unix installer that could be used by anyone with their own compiled sources, that would likely be acceptable.

NOW that is constructive advice your giving, thank you for that. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I am attempting to do. Creating a server from the source is quite easy, just leaves a little to be desired on the linux platform.

Thanks again for the informative critique...

I hope it will spark many useful ideas for you, good sir. One thing MaNGOS sorely lacks is utilities.

Things like installers, a really good GUI, accounts maintenance, and a host of similar tools would be very useful for both POSIX and Windows platforms. Yes, there are some very good web-based tools that already do those tasks, but not everyone has the luxury of having an Apache server with PHP or feels locally run tools are more secure than remote administration especially in the most common breed of private server, one where it is run on a spare PC from home with limited resources and the owner is the sole administrator and developer.

And my thanks to you for being understanding and tolerant of us crotchety malcontents here. If you can withstand the occasional textual lashings from those with less patience, you just might contribute great things to the community.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use