My own contribution to this uge project : need some little help

Guest finalcomposite

Sounds like a *nix based distro project, with MaNGOS as its primary goal/daemon/server.. If I'm right I would suggest dropping the wallpaper idea along with the GUI altogether. Instead make it console only and have a neat mangos boot splash screen.. like what you see if you use backtrack and many others. GUIs hog precious resources, look at KDE4 and any Windows OS after 2000

Yes, a terminal-based linux distro would be better, if that's what you have in mind. If it's designed to only run mangos, then a GUI is just overkill. Unless it's another windows XP repack, which I'm not sure will even be allowed here.

Nevertheless, I am intrigued.

If so, I disagree! I can run a fancy gui on a remote computer and not impact performance at all. :)

Well that's not strict. I'm aware of ASM-only GUI which is a few KBs in size (it's in fact a mini OS) and is about 50 times faster than bash in linux. Furthermore, the performance hit made by xserver is rather low, so if you run, say, fluxbox on Xorg, the performance hit is going to be much lower compared to KDE/Gnome and their tons of services.

... and I personally find bash / zsh shell more user-friendly than most GUIs, so ... :)

server && (user friendly || ~performance)

Well that depends. C-like languages treat conditions as "if (true && true && true ...)" while bash does the opposite: "0 && 0 && 0 && ..." because 0 return value == no error. So it's really

server && (user friendly || performance)

C-wise

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use