Configure source as netbeans project?

Guest Blackhive

I'm coming over from aion java development using Netbeans, and since I'm familiar with it and they offer a C++ version, I would like to know if there is a particular way to create a netbeans project out of the src once its downloaded? Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I am not sure, but I think you cannot compile VC++ projects with Netbeans. There is however a linux build included in the source as well, so you can probably import the makefile or w/e it uses, get Cygwin / MinGW or alike for a compiler and see where it goes from there.

Really though, if you are working under windows, Visual Studio Express edition is free and in my opinion a lot better than Netbeans (which I work with for my JAVA apps). Not to mention the linux builds tend to break from time to time. VS is fairly easy to get the hang off, and since Mangos does not sport a GUI anyway you won't have to worry about GUI editing (which I admit Netbeans does rather well).

the box im running mangos on is linux based, i just prefer to code/test on my main machine(windows based) before porting them over because its easier to multitask on one machine than two unless you're using remote desktop which from windows to linux = crapola, ill look a bit more into it, plus after my experience with netbeans and java, i love it and was really hoping it might work >.<, thanks for your input :)

Really though, if you are working under windows, Visual Studio Express edition is free and in my opinion a lot better than Netbeans (which I work with for my JAVA apps). Not to mention the linux builds tend to break from time to time. VS is fairly easy to get the hang off, and since Mangos does not sport a GUI anyway you won't have to worry about GUI editing (which I admit Netbeans does rather well).

I use netbeans for java and attempted to use it for C++ as well, and in my opinion wrestling with the makefile features is not as easy as manually updating your makefile after compiling and testing on windows using visual studio. I worked with a team of around 10-15 developers writing code in C, C++, and Java that ran on our robot and this is what I ended up doing because it was so much easier for me to code in windows.

If you have a .edu email address chances are you can get the full professional version of visual studio 2008 (or 2010 which is slow to start, "beautified," and all around weird T_T) from Microsoft's DreamSpark program 100% free and legal. The C++/C and overall project compilation control really is easier to use for advanced software like MaNGOS.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use