Ubuntu 10.04 mySQL login issue - following install guide.

Guest tomoose

Hey :)

First off all, I'm completely new to mysql. I had heard of it before, and I knew what it was, but I'd never used it. I have small C++ experience, but mostly alot of python experience, but I doubt this is a code issue.

I'm following the wiki's compiling on ubuntu guide, and am up to section 1.8.1 - creating the database.

The wiki is telling me to try the following command into the bash shell:

mysql -u mangos -ppassword < /opt/mangos/mangos/sql/create_mysql.sql

I have created the mangos user, and if i just use a plain

mysql -u mangos -p
OR mysql -u mangos -ppassword

command, it will ask for the password and then log in into the command shell fine, but when I try and execute the command straight from the shell, I get the following (exactly this) error:

ERROR 1045 (28000) at line 1: Access denied for user 'mangos'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I'm sure that I'm not just spelling my password wrong, and I followed the user creation steps as given in the guide.

I also have no clue as to anything about mysql though, I'm not even sure what this step does tbh. I cd'ed to the directory, and there seems to some sql files already there, so I presume this links them to the user or something?

If I knew what the command did, I could possibly google up a solution if no-one else knows what to do, but I'm completely lost as to what the < does :(

I have googled and used the forum search, read the FAQS, all the installaiton guides I could find, but they all seem to be quite outdated.

The versions I am using are the most recent git and svn releases of mangos (as of this morning, when I pulled them) and of all the other requirements, and the scriptdev2 and udb databases it tells you to download.

Please tell me if I missed anything :)

EDIT: using sudo does not change anything, so admin privileges don't make a difference :(

Try using your mysql root account to create the databases

mysql -u root -p[b][color="Red"]<MySQL_root_Password>[/color][/b] < /opt/mangos/mangos/sql/create_mysql.sql

Edit: Use root for the other two files that Create the databases as well, once they are created then use your mangos user to populate them

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use