Updating & Saves

rumpilstilskin

Hello everybody.

I am thinking of updating my core version up to 399.

My server is actualy : UDB 0.12.1 (393) for MaNGOS 10545 with SD2 SQL for rev. 1833 ACID 3.08 - Client version 3.3.5 (12340).

It's running smoothly and I never upgraded so for my first upgrade I want to be sure getting it right^^

First of all, I would appreciate having infos to save my current server… just in case I mess up things!

I have made copies of former folder Mangos, and tryed yesterday to play on one of the older version, it didnt work. Impossible to launch mangosd. I guess Data is modified every day and if it dosent fit with Mangos files it wont work…

What folders and files should I save if I want to run an older version of my server? I would like to save on an external hard disc.

Once I have this done I could update with no stress^^

Concerning the update.

I Understood the configuration for core 399 should be :

MaNGOS REV 11267 - UDB 399 - ScriptDev2 1997 - ACID 3.0.8

This means I have to update everything except ACID ? Also my client version?

Seems to me like a lot of work^^ Are the improvements important between core 393 and core 399?

Thanks!

when you say core 393, this is not actually the core, but the database

the core is all the mangos code you downloaded from git and compiled

just for clarification

what i do before updating both my core (the server) and my database (characters/world objects/etc) is make a backup of the folder containing the executables/libraries/configurations/etc, a simple copy will do this

to backup my database i use mysqldump and just export the entire database in a sql format text file

mysqldump -umangos -pYOUR_MANGOS_MYSQL_PASSWORD --databases mangos realmd characters scriptdev2 > database_backup_20110322.sql

for an example of how i use mysqldump

after this i download the new mangos source from git, then compile

download database of your choice, execute the databases sql updates (if it has them)

then execute the mangos provided sql updates to get the database to the required version for the core

i didn't go into detail on most of this because there are guides that do that fairly well and this is intended to be a summary of how i do it

Hello guys^^

Thank you for your advises.

Think I'm getting ready for an upgrade *crosses his fingers*^^

Just one more thing antiriot, could you please be kind enough to give me the precise location of these files you copy for save? Searched for them in my Mangos file… I'm not quite sure, are these in the bin folder? Thanks!

Thank you for the thread on SQL commands MasterControlProgram. Going to check this!

By the way… bought the other day a book : « SQL Server - Administration d'une base de données avec SQL Server Management Studio »… he is looking at me on my office, strong of his 500 pages of mystery… yelling : « when do you open me! »… Not using SQL Server Management Studio, but SQLyog, but I guess it will help me.

You may also want to take a look at the MySQL workbench. It's a very decent, free administration and development interface for Windows, Linux, etc.

You can use it to administer your server, apply upgrades, or even develop your own database schemes, views, procedures, etc. I found it very useful, especially when it comes to tracking database changes.

sorry rumpilstilskin, I've never installed mangos on windows before so i'm not sure where it would go by default or where any of the current guides would tell you to install it to

I looked at some of your previous posts and it looks like you installed mangos at C:\\Mangos\\

and you compiled mangos to C:\\Mangos\\bin\\Win32_Release

I think if you backup the Win32_Release folder that should be enough.

i'm assuming that folder contains all the dll, exe, and conf files, if not you'll need to find those to have a complete backup

not sure where your vmap/dbc files are but those shouldn't matter since the mangos core does not alter them and they usually only change with a client update

glad to know you found it,

just remember more important than backing up the executable is to backup the database as MCP,Ambal and I have said, without your database if something doesn't go right then you will have to start over from scratch again and will loose any custom data along with account/player data

Ok, I tried to update from core 393 to core 399. Wasn't a great succes. Hopefully I had a backup like you advised me and we are back on 393^^

Would appreciate your advise on how to have it right.

Followed Patman's guide.

1/ Updated Mangos - Right click on C:\\Mangos launched GIT GUI and merged with succes.

2/ Updated ScriptDev2 - Right click on « C:\\Mangos\\src\\bindings\\ScriptDev2 » folder and "SVN Update"

3/ Re-compiled Mangos - C:\\Mangos\\Win - Opened my sln file mangosdVC90 for C++ 2008

« Build » with no error message.

4\\ Re-compiled ScriptDev2 - Opened my sln file: scriptVC90.slnForC++2008

« Build » with no error message.

5/ Installing Mangos.

This I didn't understand and I skiped. It is indicated to re install Mangos. But my « mangosd.conf.dist.in », « realmd.conf.dest.in » and « scriptdev2.conf.dist.in » files seemed not changed. They still had the same date - weeks ago - than for my first install. I didn't see way copy them to replace my actual « mangosd.conf », realmd.conf » and « scriptdev2.conf » if they were the same.

It is indicated in the guide to check if Mangos version had changed at this point and if so to delete folders « Maps, DBC, Vmaps and Buildings. My Mangos version didn't change so I continued.

6/ Downloaded patches from UDB 394 to 399.

7/ Extracted patches through SQLyog.

Had some error messages when extracting the corepatches_mangos but no error messages on extracting the updatepacks_mangos.

Example : Error code: 1054 - Unknown colum required - 11117_01_mangos_world_template in db_version

This an sql I extracted for my first install… Should I have tried to re install it?

I ignored these error messages and continued my install.

At the end my configuration was 399 with mangos and scripted upgraded.

8\\ Opened SQLyog, mangos, pasted « scriptdev2_script_full.sql » and launched the query.

9\\ Re-configuration of Mangos. Seems to be the same step than in 5... Did nothing.

With the different errors messages I skiped and part of the updating I didn't understand, I thought mangosd.exe wouldn't run… In fact it did^^

Connected to the game. But nothing seemed to have changed. For example I have problems with pools of minerals and herbes; almost non existing in Elwynn forest and Westfall. After talking over this mater on UDB forum, I thought it might be related to the 393 version. When connected with 399 version it was the same. Travelled throw Westfall without seeing one pool.

Also the AHbot seemed not to be launched when running mangosd.exe.

My questions are :

1/ did I miss a step in updating?

2/ error messages like reported at updating are they acceptable?

3/should I re-install AHbot if I want to have it running on a new version?

Ultimatly would it be a problem if I installed two different version of server on my pc and could I update on a new version the « characters » database of a previous version to play with the caracters created on the first version of my server?

Thanks!

My mistake.

Patman clearlly mentionned that Auction House patch must be re installed.

I tryed over again... failed in re installing AHBot.

Every thing whent with no error up too checking : git apply --check gitAddon/AHBot/ahbot.patch

file ahbot.patch wasn't found.

Strangely the patch was in the folder... mysteries of computers^^... more likelly made an error^^... can't see what error, tryed again from the beginnig, had the same failor erro.

Got some more work to be on the level!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use