Why is MaNGOS using ACE?

Guest LilleCarl_

I was just googling around and read some abot Boost, and it seems like most people like both Boost and "POCO" more then ace in general. They say its hard to spawn threads in ACE and its code is ugly because of support for old compilers etc...

So when mangos introduced ACE (When was this by the way) why did they pick just ACE? Oh yeah i read someone said ACE is nr.uno on Networking, might that be it?

boost nice but main part required from generic library in mangos case is fast sockets framework.

I use for one from personal projects boost sockets version but i not sure that boost ASIO is good case for MMO server.

In fact as i understand asio mostly same by functionality as dropped used before ACE socket libary.

From other side i can't say that i am expert in boost asio usage. I just use it in one project and it work. No performance testing and etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Even though I am a Windows user, I have always hated that their APIs are universally incompatible with everything else. It makes using anything other than Visual Studio for Windows development painfully difficult and trying to compile code designed for VS with open source alternatives is impossible.

There is a certain irony in an open source project requiring closed source tools on the Windows side. At least VS is free, so long as you're content with the crippleware version.

There is a MaNGOS University topic, in the Community Cafe, where support for other C++ compilers is discussed. MinGW, with or without Code::Blocks is of particular interest to the participants. If anyone has ideas, please feel free to jump right in and post!

Even though I am a Windows user, I have always hated that their APIs are universally incompatible with everything else. It makes using anything other than Visual Studio for Windows development painfully difficult and trying to compile code designed for VS with open source alternatives is impossible.

There is a certain irony in an open source project requiring closed source tools on the Windows side. At least VS is free, so long as you're content with the crippleware version.

There is a MaNGOS University topic, in the Community Cafe, where support for other C++ compilers is discussed. MinGW, with or without Code::Blocks is of particular interest to the participants. If anyone has ideas, please feel free to jump right in and post!

When this is supported, im going to explode, fly trough the roof and just be so damn happy, i am TIRED of MSVSC++, It is too unstable ;D And we could also possible learn by code::blocks :D

Archived