Talents and legendaries

Skyfallwow

Question

Well i have two things in mind to ask for help for. The first thing is that some character in the server i created periodically have their talents points restarted, and i would like to ask you how to fix this. The other thing is that when i put legendary weapons like devastation or cosmic infuser, everytime i change my location for example from Orgrimmar to Durotar they disappear. I would be really greatful if you are able to help me .

5 answers to this question

The other thing is that when i put legendary weapons like devastation or cosmic infuser, everytime i change my location for example from Orgrimmar to Durotar they disappear.

I think this is expected. If I rember correctly, those legendaries are dropped during the Kael'Thas fight in the Tempest Keep raid, and they are meant to be used during the fight (only). So when you change zones, the server checks if you have any zone specific items or buffs or whatever, and realizes you're not supposed to have those outside of that specific raid/fight and removes them for you (which is also what happened on the real thing: if you wiped during the fight and did a corpse run, you also lost the items).

If the question is how to change this behavior of your server so this does not happen: search for the code that does the checks when you change zones. I'm sorry, I don't remember where I've seen it.

I just happened to run into that code while checking something else. You're looking for this function in Player.cpp:

void Player::DestroyZoneLimitedItem(bool update, uint32 new_zone)

which is called from the UpdateZone function:

void Player::UpdateZone(uint32 newZone, uint32 newArea)
   // remove items with area/map limitations (delete only for alive player to allow back in ghost mode)
   // if player resurrected at teleport this will be applied in resurrect code
   if (isAlive())
       DestroyZoneLimitedItem(true, newZone);

Just as an addition to my previous post: it should only happen to the handful of 'legendaries' that drop during the Kael'Thas fight (there are 6 if my memory serves me well). The "real" legendaries should not be affected: Thori'dal, Sulfuras, Thunderfury etc.

As for the talent point reset: I suddenly remembered that there's an option to "preview" talent points, without actually learning them (at least in more recent client versions, I don't remember if the TBC client already had that option). So perhaps the characters that have them reset are players who are only previewing the talents, without learning them. So when they relog, they start with the clean sheet again (in fact they never have talents in that case; it only looks like they spent some when they check the talent tree UI after assigning a few in the preview).

Archived