Accessing Server Externally

bugeyedcreepy

Question

Hi I've used the links and re-extracted the maps the systems seems to be running, i created an account and can log in and see 1 realm when i click on the list it states logging into game and then returns to the realm list would you have any suggestions

paul

Ahh, the dreaded Realm Loop. You'll need to check the realm is accessible on the IP:Port specified. I found with my server that using the fully qualified Domain Name of the server didn't work. I ended up having to use the IP Address in config to login to mine. No rhyme or reason to it since the resolved address was the same as the IP I ended up having to use.... go figure.

There's a fair bit of info via Google so hope this helps...

6 answers to this question

hi i googled the realm loop, I've finally got in working by setting the bind address to the lan ip and changing the databases realm list to the same, i can get in and play from the lan but am having a terrible time trying to get a friend to login form the out side

hmmm, that'll be a problem. This all depends on how you're lan and server are setup. For your friend to login you'll need to have your Server on a Live Internet IP Address, translating IP addresses won't be enough. If your friend even gets to the realmlist, the IP address he'll be directed to connect to will be an internal IP address not on his network... I guess if you had a VPN for him to connect then it can be done but that's another whole set of config outside of MaNGOS to start on. If your server is using the Internet Address of your connection then you'll need to check your firewall ruleset ensuring you're allowing incoming connections for both your Realmlist and your Mangos Server ip:port. Anyway, pointless my babbling on since I know nothing about your setup for the server, network and internet connections but it'll give you some ideas of the complexities that need to be considered...

:|

The server resides on a nated lan unfortunately using virginmedia for an internet connection so the external ip is taken up by the router all the correct ports are open and pointed towards the ip on the 192.168.1.0 network (the server address being 192.168.1.116) if the server has to have its own public address then ill have to get a new line with extra ips, i didn't want to use a vpn as there are over heads to that and plus id like to offer the server for other people to play on,

The server resides on a nated lan unfortunately using virginmedia for an internet connection so the external ip is taken up by the router all the correct ports are open and pointed towards the ip on the 192.168.1.0 network (the server address being 192.168.1.116) if the server has to have its own public address then ill have to get a new line with extra ips, i didn't want to use a vpn as there are over heads to that and plus id like to offer the server for other people to play on,

the problem you'll have using that IP address is your config file will have Realmd advertising your server on an internal network address which people on the internet will never be able to get to. Even if your friends are able to get to your realmlist from the internet, the realmlist will point them to 192.168.1.116 which of course means they can't get to it (internet will discard network traffic to or from internal address ranges). Unfortunately you'll have to run your router in bridge mode and let your server run the internet address with a firewall or get extra IP addresses for a dmz setup.

:(

The problem with running the router in bridge mode is the mangos server will have a public address and i wont be able to connect to in on the same connection, I let me friend connect via my vpn, that seems ok but he can't seem to see any character/creature in the game I tried letting him use my account but he still couldn't see any characters, i can see him but not the other way around

paul

Archived