FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Here i thought that we'd make a nice collection of frequent problems/questions and their solutions/answers, if anyone finds anything that they think should be in here please send me a PM!

The old collection of questions and their answers can be found here

The wiki for mangos generally is located here, there's a FAQ available there aswell and there's some guides on installing and such aswell

How to compile on windows can be found here

Git

• [li]Question:Made a clean clone of a repo and git says files are changed[/li]
    [li]Solution:The solution seems to be to change the autocrlf option to false for your repo, if you prefer you can do this globally by using: git config --global core.autocrlf = false, more information regarding this can be found
here[/li]

Extracting game assets

• [li]Question:MoveMapGen.sh won't do anything good and the mmaps don't get extracted.[/li]
    [li]Solution:Don't run the script as root, this seems to botch it all, for more info see
this[/li]
[li]Question:When trying to run ad.exe for mangos three (cataclysm) it freezes or dies at some point and it doesn't seem to have extracted all the maps/dbc etc.[/li]
[li]Solution:You have probably only downloaded part of the client as there's a feature to download the client on the go added in this version (and the ones after it aswell), for a solution check this out.[/li]

Compiling the core - Windows

• [li]Question:While compiling mangos with Visual Studio i get a error looking something like this:[/li]

Warning  1  warning C4244: 'initializing' : conversion from 'double' to 'const float', possible loss of data  D:\MangosZero\mangos\dep\src\g3dlite\g3dmath.cpp  44  1  g3dlite
Error  2  error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt  D:\MangosZero\mangos\win\VC100\LINK  tbb
Warning  3  warning LNK4221: This object file does not define any previously undefined public symbols, so it will not be used by any link operation that consumes this library  D:\MangosZero\mangos\win\VC100\MemoryManagement.obj  framework
Error  4  error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt  D:\MangosZero\mangos\win\VC100\LINK  ACE_Wrappers
Error  5  error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt  D:\MangosZero\mangos\win\VC100\LINK  realmd
Error  6  error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt  D:\MangosZero\mangos\win\VC100\LINK  mangosd

• [li]Solution:Try uninstalling .net framework 4.5 and install .net framework 4.0 instead, for more info see
this[/li]

Running the core - Windows

• [li]Question:When starting mangosd.exe it quickly shows a window which then closes down again, what do i do?[/li]
    [li]Solution:There's probably a error that mangosd.exe shows before the window is closed, to get around this you could either check your server.log file if you turned on logging in the config or you could start a cmd.exe window where you run mangosd.exe and you'll see any errors popping up. Also see
this[/li]

Core - general

• [li]Question:I would like to upgrade my zero-core and db to a one-core and db, how would i do that?[/li]
    [li]Solution:Start by compiling the new core you'd like to run (in this case one) and make a backup of your current DB, then you can apply updates as usual and follow the solution found in this thread to make the jump up to the db-layout of one:
http://community.getmangos.eu/index.php?topic=20007.0[/li]

Game issues

• [li]Question:My database updates don't seem to make any difference in game[/li]
    [li]Solution:Try cleaning your cache as the values might be taken from there instead of asking the server for new information, this can be done by either following
this small tutorial. Or you can go into your wow-folder and delete at least the WDB folder, if that doesn't seem to help you could try taking the WTF folder along aswell.[/li]
[li]Question:WoW won't show models when running it in wow[/li]
[li]Solution:This is a well known issue and a solution can be found here: http://community.getmangos.eu/index.php?topic=20014.msg154929#msg154929 for more info check out http://www.wowwiki.com/Wine_troubleshooting#ATI_no_Object_Textures.2FModels[/li]

Development

Core

• [li]Question:Using PExecute/Execute and then looking for the data i inserted doesn't seem to work[/li]
    [li]Solution:If you want to issue a SELECT or the like on any data you recently inserted you should use DirectPExecute/DirectExecute instead which will make sure to not queue the query for later execution but execute it right there and now so that any queries after it has access to the data just added.[/li]

Archived