New Here

Rottstein

I just downlaoded and started a personal Mangos 0 server on Linux. I did not win the Powerball last night, so for now my help will limited to what I can fit in my schedule.

I do plan on helping out, either through fixes or mentioning problems I see. I have read up quite a bit on things on how to help, how to get stuf,f how to compile stuff, how to get things running, troubleshooting, etc. All good stuff. What I do not see anywhere is how things work. Like what the server does. I am interested to know, is the server modular, can I run Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, instances, etc on different servers since these do not interact with one another?

I saw an entry in the issues section that the server runs in grids, and when no one is in them they shut down. This is the kind of information that I think should be available in a large FAQ or wiki or something. I may be able to find these on other projects pages (I honestly have not looked yet), but knowing the basics of how things are supposed to work will be a big help to folks who come along because without knowing how things work you won't know why things aren't like you expect.

One more example from what I just said above about the grids. When I created my first character, a Human Paladin, I was surprised there were no NPC's during the flyover to Northshire. But once I read that, I figure it is because the flyover is happening while my character is actually in Northshire so there is no mobs spawned in the areas of the flyover. If this were something I had a inkling to fix, this is information I need to know beforehand.

Hello, and welcome! So let's start.

For now, you can not run multiple world servers where one runs Kalimdor and the other runs Eastern Kingdoms and a third to run battlegrounds or instances. That has never been implemented since you can actually run mangos with thousands of players. If you have any experience in this field, you're welcome to make suggestions :) Personally I was considering to use http://www.zeromq.org/ to link servers over a messaging queue and allow for multiple servers acting as one realm.

The server running in grids means that it does hold active sections of the game in memory, and unloads them (if you want that) once they are empty. This is optional, and can be configured, which means the whole world could be loaded at once.

When creating a character you do not see creatures because it would require the games camera "to move along" the intro cinematic, which it does not currently. Consider it a missing feature. Issues like these usually are the hard part of our work, since the old original servers are gone, and we can't track real game data to figure out how Blizzard solved it.

Anyway, golden rule: use the forums, talk with us :)

Archived