Let's Talk About Organization...

Guest Neo2003

Hi all,

First, I would like to note I only want to give a draft about organization I think would be beneficial to Mangos, I don’t intend to give orders to anyone.

If you saw my bit too anger comportment yesterday on channel, you know what this is about. I believe the organization should be enhanced to make it more efficient.

Don’t take it as an attack please. I just want to show you what I see so that we improve.

1) Where do we go and where do we plan to go?

In the past, before release 0.6, there where a target defined, a list of things to implement and a target release for each. Some part where planned for 0.6, others for 1.0… and so on. This has disappeared.

It was obvious that the target was to go from 0.5 to 1.0 by stepping by 0.1 increments and target some part completed for each steps. We are now at 0.11 without paths to 1.0.

2) What do we want to do?

This is very linked to previous point; we don’t have a list of things to implement. There is still some parts never done and that are not planned/listed anywhere.

For example: Tower taking and zone faction change in outland since TBC was launched, world events (phases in new island), fix the bad random movements, non offlike LOS checks (too restrictive), complete localization…

A simple list: a to-do list would be useful to see what is missing for long time

Then setting importance (priority) on theses items in the list would help seeing where we want to go, list dependencies and solve them.

3) Who is doing what?

Let’s first list who is doing what and who plan to do what, this would solve double work, patches conflicts or anything like this that may happen (I don’t say it ever happen, I let you appreciate)

Let’s list too what each member is pleased to work on. This enable many things, like asking for help, see to-do item that nobody would do, have members team to code one complex part…

We all know for example we miss someone that would like to spend time on checking patches posted on forum and first simply sort then and classify them so that everyone here see them. I don’t even talk about a new reviewer to help Vlad, I simply talk about sorting patches and categorize them. There may be some that you would be pleased to review if you were aware of them and their progresses.

I will stop here for the moment and wait for your feedbacks.

If you agree organizing these simple stuffs is beneficial, just try to reply to these simple questions:

- What do you like to work on and what do you [plan to]/[are currently] coding

- Try to list 1 or 2 things you think are missing and are important to progress in current core

Thanks for having red this long post till the end ;)

Neo2003 (ready to be bashed for such a post)

In the past, before release 0.6, there where a target defined, a list of things to implement and a target release for each. Some part where planned for 0.6, others for 1.0… and so on. This has disappeared.

It was obvious that the target was to go from 0.5 to 1.0 by stepping by 0.1 increments and target some part completed for each steps. We are now at 0.11 without paths to 1.0.[/b]

What usefullness of this data if it filled after release, or ignored? We implement not standalone program wher we can set goals at each step and do it. Big part of work is restore someting after client switch, or dependent from finding some info about some not implemented part.

Writing like goals not work before and will not after. I am sure in this at 100%.

What goals you need except "make fatures work in official way". with note: this is "official way" in constant change itself.

This is very linked to previous point; we don’t have a list of things to implement. There is still some parts never done and that are not planned/listed anywhere.

For example: Tower taking and zone faction change in outland since TBC was launched, world events (phases in new island), fix the bad random movements, non offlike LOS checks (too restrictive), complete localization…[/b]

I think this is easy. Create thread and add data to it. Other can add own known parts, and so on. But not expect that anyone will do any different from intrest to his personaly part from TO_DO list. I think rule "If you want something to be implemented then do it or find someone who intersting do it." appliable to any volutiers project.

TO DO list can be useful, but not expect that someone create it, just create. This work better.

2) What do we want to do?

For example: Tower taking and zone faction change in outland since TBC was launched, world events (phases in new island), fix the bad random movements, non offlike LOS checks (too restrictive), complete localization…

A simple list: a to-do list would be useful to see what is missing for long time

Then setting importance (priority) on theses items in the list would help seeing where we want to go, list dependencies and solve them.[/b]

Tower Taking is actually being worked on by a few members. WolfDragon's WorldStates patch was a part of that as was w12x's code for Tower and other world pvp objectives. I think problem is that we have TO many big patches right now that delay review of some other patches. For example the Instance System, Multi-threaded maps, Arena System.

A todo list would be nice but maybe best if it is kept very generic and only for big work (ex NO class skills or other small crappy things). I think it should also be posted publicly so non devs may know what they can work on if they have time.

3) Who is doing what?

Let’s first list who is doing what and who plan to do what, this would solve double work, patches conflicts or anything like this that may happen (I don’t say it ever happen, I let you appreciate)[/b]

Hmm, I don't really see a whole lot of use keeping an up to date list of what is being worked on. The major patches we already know and are always posted somewhere in the dev sections. Wyk3d is doing instances system, Ralf the multi-threaded maps, etc. I personally only take on small endeavors related to creatures.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use