Mangos Useage Information?

Guest Noaru

The reason I decided to post this question was to take a live statistic of how things are going within the current revision. Some are outdated and some are just a couple of posts with rampant variables, so I want to try and get some hard statistics. Yes I have used the search button, however every answer I find is very large, or small, and isn't conclusive, so I need to find an average and pattern.

Reason some are large and some are small is because it all depends on many factors - like CPU speed, type, amount of RAM, hard-disk speed, connection, whether the server is dedicated, whether the SQL and game server run on the same machine, etc etc.

Furthermore a lot also depends on your exact settings: mtmaps, unload vmaps, enable vmaps, compression value, amount of players, etc. You really won't find a conclusive answer because there isn't one. It would be like asking three random people how fast their car can go - and each one has a different car. The answer is completely meaningless (after all, by average every being on the planet has 3.4 legs and owns a sheep).

If you really want some info: our main server uses anywhere between 600 and 1500Mb of RAM (depending on load and uptime) and holds 250 simultanious users easily (no lag, CPU load at 15%). Our testserver generally uses around the same amount of RAM and can hold about 50 users before it starts to lag, since it's on a slower pipe. That's with the exact same version and settings as our main server of course.

In general, if your server is dedicated, bandwith will be an issue long before memory, version or CPU speed is.

Also Remember you usually get what you pay for.

I've Tried cheaper hosts. Never seemed to get The speed they advertise. Also my Server was Victim to

Downtime Every few days or week They would have downtime of up to 1-5 Hours. With LiquidWeb 0 Downtime in the last Year. No security problems.

Costumer Service is also a lot better as well they help and stuff

Dont worry to much about bandwith consumption avg for 50player is < 1000gig

Also you should realize that Generally your going to be Running/Doing a lot other stuff On your Server aswell...Compiling, Running web server.

If your Compiling code your going to need A Looooooot of ram.

I had 12gigs of ram...Then I went to 24gigs. I noticed a big difference. It sounds silly I know. So the more ram the better.

The computer has never had a hikup its alllways nice and fast.

Right now 200players using 1.3 Gigs..(I Dont unload maps(Less crashing for me)) 400mb when u unload maps.) Also my uptime is 23 Hours so im going to Assume Some memory is leaking...Its also a fun server

and because its using 1.3gigs From my expierence does not mean you only need 1.5-2 Gigs.

If you use linux...Then probably none of this applies to you :)

Er or because it is actually better at certain things than Linux and associated server applications... like oh I don't know, IIS > Apache; Exchange > everything else... and so forth.

It all depends on what you want to do. Personally, I prefer Lighttpd to Apache and IIS. If you want to host a website, you would probably be better off with a dedicated web site hosting service anyway, in which case the platform is irrelevant.

Reason some are large and some are small is because it all depends on many factors - like CPU speed, type, amount of RAM, hard-disk speed, connection, whether the server is dedicated, whether the SQL and game server run on the same machine, etc etc.

Furthermore a lot also depends on your exact settings: mtmaps, unload vmaps, enable vmaps, compression value, amount of players, etc. You really won't find a conclusive answer because there isn't one. It would be like asking three random people how fast their car can go - and each one has a different car. The answer is completely meaningless (after all, by average every being on the planet has 3.4 legs and owns a sheep).

If you really want some info: our main server uses anywhere between 600 and 1500Mb of RAM (depending on load and uptime) and holds 250 simultanious users easily (no lag, CPU load at 15%). Our testserver generally uses around the same amount of RAM and can hold about 50 users before it starts to lag, since it's on a slower pipe. That's with the exact same version and settings as our main server of course.

In general, if your server is dedicated, bandwith will be an issue long before memory, version or CPU speed is.

This is like the most complete answer to the differences between servers.

• 1 month later...

My opinion would be that you have wasted your money on a quadcore that could have been better spend on extra RAM. Unless you use the multithreading patch your server will only be able to use 25% of the available CPU power, yet on the other hand, 2Gb ram is not enough to run a server without grid_unload.

Good performance is a matter of finding bottlenecks and adequate resources for the task. I could use a supercomputer to run WoW yet get less performance than a netbook, or run a server with 16Gb RAM, a 4Ghz CPU and a PATA hard disk and it'd still take half a year to start. And even with all the hardware details there could still be a lot of other issues: older MySQL versions for example used to run terrible slow on a SUN Fire X series server. By far the best way to know how much your server can support is to simply use it and see. Mangos does quite well on normal hardware, anything under a 1000 users should run just fine on whatever regular machine you throw at it.

My opinion would be that you have wasted your money on a quadcore that could have been better spend on extra RAM. Unless you use the multithreading patch your server will only be able to use 25% of the available CPU power, yet on the other hand, 2Gb ram is not enough to run a server without grid_unload.

Good performance is a matter of finding bottlenecks and adequate resources for the task. I could use a supercomputer to run WoW yet get less performance than a netbook, or run a server with 16Gb RAM, a 4Ghz CPU and a PATA hard disk and it'd still take half a year to start. And even with all the hardware details there could still be a lot of other issues: older MySQL versions for example used to run terrible slow on a SUN Fire X series server. By far the best way to know how much your server can support is to simply use it and see. Mangos does quite well on normal hardware, anything under a 1000 users should run just fine on whatever regular machine you throw at it.

Actually it's a VPS for the price of a regular WoW Subscription :P by multithreading patch do you mean on compiling where you specify the cores? I believe we're using the grid_unload feature.

You'll pretty much have to use grid_unload, without it we're generally pushing 3Gb of RAM used :D More info can be found in this excelent thread on performance tweaks.

Keep in mind that most VPS's don't actually give you 100% availability of the listed CPU's - so your performance might be lower than expected. As for multithreading patch: I meant this one. By default, mangos can only ever use 1 core at the time, so if you have 4 CPU cores this means 3 of'm will be doing nothing. The MTMaps patch fixes that to some extend.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use