What kind of hardware needs for online more than 7k?

Guest Newbee

I'm interested in theory of this question. What kind of computer must be able to have online more than 7k people? 0_o I've seen some servers with that or ~ online and some of them used MaNGoS. And what about 2k, 5k? What optimal online for core? (don't worry, I don't want to buy this hardware and open new off-like internet server. Sure, I don't have enough money. It's just kind of masochistic envy about moneyed people and ineradicable human interest). Have anyone got this information?

OS - *nix sure (on my win local server with online <120 and, think, not a bad hardware, mangos process have more than 3Gb RAM. This is the dead end for windows servers).

P.S. Sorry my english :)

Most of Mangos' memory usage is simply game data - maps, creatures, etcetera. Doesn't make one bit of difference if you load it into a windows or a linux machine, nor does it particularly matter how many users there are online (at least, not untill you get several thousand users on). Servers with 8Gb or even 16Gb are quite common these days, I doubt memory will ever be a problem.

CPU speed, now that is a different matter. With no stable multithreading support I doubt you can go much higher than 3k ~ 4k users without getting loads of lag.

About nix vs win. There is some trouble with memory usage in windows. So, eg win2k3 64bit noway use process more than 3Gb at once (in this case OS would be try to limit memory for 'leak' process and dump it to HDD). In sum it could be much more. (as far as I know enterprise support about 32Gb). But at all - it's sad.

About nix vs win. There is some trouble with memory usage in windows. So, eg win2k3 64bit noway use process more than 3Gb at once (in this case OS would be try to limit memory for 'leak' process and dump it to HDD). In sum it could be much more. (as far as I know enterprise support about 32Gb). But at all - it's sad.

I run Mangos on a 64 bit windows 2003 machine and it uses 3.5Gb without grid unloading. The document you link merely talks about 32bit windows, and yes, 32 bit windows can by default not address more than ~3.2Gb of memory, of which some reserved for the OS - though there are applications to address more memory. Simple fact of the matter is that with an integer you cannot go higher than an index somewhere in the four billion, or 2^32 - which is why there is 64 bit windows. Any 64 bit windows version can address just about limitless amounts of ram, even for a single process. Please, always make sure you link correct and up-to-date information (your article is 4 years old ;)): this is the correct overview, as you can see with the right compiler options on a windows server edition you can address roughly 8Tb of memory - that's about 8000Gb of memory.

Actual resource usage by the OS is minimal compared to what is available from hardware anyway - I very much doubt you will see any difference whatsoever in performance between linux or windows (server) in this matter. In fact, seeing how often we find mangos updates along the lines of 'fixed *nix build' I am guessing Vladimir uses windows to test and develop, wouldn't surprise me if it actually ran better on windows.

The workaround solution is totaly simple, buy b1600 chasis, load it with blades, run there slorais, two of the blades would be doing master node, and rest (14) would be doing processing power. So your os would still see "2" cores, but those would be doing nothing else than sending data to process to those 14 behind them. So from applications view, there is only "dual core" machine.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use