Battle.net 2 Emulator

• 40 years later...

Hello there. Since the launch of the starcraft 2 beta people have been waiting in vain for a private server. Since I am part of the lucky few who managed to get a beta key, I decided to contribute by taking wireshark captures of the new battle.net 2 platform.

It turns out battle.net 2 communicates using (unsurprisingly) the WOW protocol. I figured if anyone on the internet knows anything about this, it's you guys. Is there anyone or any documentation that could help me understand the packets I'm getting?

Hello there. Since the launch of the starcraft 2 beta people have been waiting in vain for a private server. Since I am part of the lucky few who managed to get a beta key, I decided to contribute by taking wireshark captures of the new battle.net 2 platform.

It turns out battle.net 2 communicates using (unsurprisingly) the WOW protocol. I figured if anyone on the internet knows anything about this, it's you guys. Is there anyone or any documentation that could help me understand the packets I'm getting?

This is most likely because WoW was the first program to use Battle.net 2.

There have been some posts about WoW authentication but I can't remember off the top of my head how it works. Search for the post about removing the password hash.

Stab, you obviously know nothing of battle.net 2. PvPgn has nothing to do with the new battle net platform and it is only intended to work with diablo1-2/starcraft/warcraft 2-3.

Where did I say I did? I even stated I been out of that scene for over a year. Was pointing you into a direction of where to start looking to see if Pelish had any plans to start a Bnet 2 emu. I would think a site that caters to an earlier version would know more then trying to find info here. Maybe try not being such an ass in the future either to someone atleast willing to take the time to try to help you/

This is most likely because WoW was the first program to use Battle.net 2.

There have been some posts about WoW authentication but I can't remember off the top of my head how it works. Search for the post about removing the password hash.

WoW uses a SRP6 algorithm for logging on.

If the other game uses the same process for logging on its something like this

AUTH_LOGON_CHALLENGE: -client->server
Command:
Error: 
Packet Size:
Game Name:
Version 1: 
Version 2:
Version 3:
Build:
Platform:
Operating System:
Timezone Bias
IP Address:
SRP I Length:
SRP I:

AUTH_LOGON_CHALLENGE -server->client
Command:
Error
SRP B:
SRP g: (length)
SRP g:
SRP N: (length)
SRP N: 
SRP s:

AUTH_LOGON_PROOF -client->server
Command:
SRP A:
SRP M1:
CRC Hash:
Number of keys:

AUTH_LOGON_PROOF -server->client
Command:
Error:
SRP M2:

I believe the username is I and the password is in B

SRP info is over here - http://srp.stanford.edu/design.html

I don't know if theres any other public documentation about wow or starcraft though, you probably have to find out yourself Dark =(

I'm not looking for public documentation, it doesn't exist. But since this project is about making a WoW server application, you have to use the same protocol as battle.net 2; that means someone, somewhere in this community has figured out how it works (at least partly). I'm not a networking expert by any means but if I could find the people who wrote the server side network api for mangos they would have a better idea of how to dissect the data I gathered.

all i know is that wc3 servers (and possibly sc2 too) were mostly a chat server (like irc), it didn't host games, just "published" them, so you could connect to the host that was a regular player acting as server

To repeat what he said before, it has nothing to do with the old B.net protocol.

all i know is that wc3 servers were mostly a chat server (like irc), it didn't host games, just "published" them, so you could connect to the host that was a regular player acting as server

First, this is very very old news. I already know how the old battle.net works.

Secondly, battle.net for warcraft 3 did host server-side games. Only the custom games were hosted client-side.

Thirdly, since starcraft 2 is only in the beta stage, the games are 100% server side right now and apparently even the single player games will require a battle.net authentification.

Like I already said, I'm seeking help from the experts here who apparently cracked the code and reverse engineered the WoW protocol.

Le Froid was very helpful; this is the kind of information I'm looking for