MMaps Redux

Guest auntieMangos

If I recall, that was due to Liquids causing the crash, wasn't it?

Is there a workaround for this? The last advice I remember was to just use the commit prior to implementing Liquids. Perhaps that commit can be used as a comparison against your updated code to snip out the parts relating to Liquids, sort of an "updated revert"?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did you one better. Liquids are off by default, just use it like you would normally.

If you DO want liquids, look at the new command line switch. Core-side implementation still isn't complete (depends on aggro and threat logic), so I don't suggest you use them.

Plus some other fixes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm updating recast navigation. There were some API changes which implemented features I had hacked into recast earlier. Undoing my hacky modifications and figuring out the new way is fun. (not really)

Also moving a lot of code around. Should make future updates easier, and match mangos standards better.

Unfortunately it's nothing new or fun, which I suppose is the main reason I'm taking so long to do it.

I can only try to imagine the moments of frustration you might feel while working on the code for mmaps, faramir.

When you're facing those times, just remember you're working on something that will be a major leap forward for MaNGOS and add so much more to the game play experience for so many people. It's a contribution as fundamental to the entire MaNGOS project as the first code that enabled characters to interact with NPCs.

I can hardly wait to see the end result! :D

One completed, your work will be an enduring legacy that everyone here will remember with gratitude, every time they boot up their server.

I have some errors like this when try to build MoveMapsGen:

Building map 035:
We have 4 tiles.
ERROR:StaticMapTree::UnloadMapTile(): Trying to unload non-loaded tile. Map:35 X
:31 Y:31
ERROR:StaticMapTree::UnloadMapTile(): Trying to unload non-loaded tile. Map:35 X
:31 Y:32
:32 Y:31
:32 Y:32
Complete!

It's normal?

Tried to extract mmaps with key [--hiResHeightmaps true --skipContinents false]

Got error:

Application Log
Start: Mon Aug 23 04:59:07 2010

Critical Error - MoveMapGen.exe
Memory manager returned NULL: out of memory?

Expression: data

e:\\test\\rsa-10392\\dep\\include\\g3dlite\\G3D/Array.h:154

3Gb DDR2

Error then extract map 001.

It would appear you don't have enough memory. Try with --hiResHeightmaps false.

Yes, I can understand it, but didn't think that's it is true...

3Gb is not enough??? It's terrible...

Map 000 exstracted normally. Maybe is clean as a memory?

I'll try again without [--hiResHeightmaps true] key.

Whoa, wait a minute!

Patman, you're saying that faramir's mmaps generator requires more than 3 GB of RAM?

If this is true, that counts me out for any future testing or use. There's no way I can meet that requirement without replacing my system's core components and OS.

Once this makes it into the core, I'll just have to say goodbye to MaNGOS. :(

Whoa, wait a minute!

Patman, you're saying that faramir's mmaps generator requires more than 3 GB of RAM?

If this is true, that counts me out for any future testing or use. There's no way I can meet that requirement without replacing my system's core components and OS.

Once this makes it into the core, I'll just have to say goodbye to MaNGOS. :(

If you have a PC with around 4GB memory and a 32 bits Windows, compile the extractor with "large address aware" settings and activate "/3GB" inside your C:\\boot.ini OS file. This will just let it use 3GB of memory instead of 2GB by default.

Btw I think this is only an interim problem like when I was writing the old version that used 2.8GB of memory just for Stormwind data while at the end it required much much less memory for the same work.

Don't forget this is under development.

Inadvertently accumulating some mesh data... sorry!

Insert the following code at MapBuilder.cpp line 201 (inside the for loop):

allVerts.fastClear();
           allTris.fastClear();

The shameful part is, I'm not using the array that keeps growing and growing.

I would push it to the repo, but I'm in the middle of testing a huge commit. If it weren't for these pesky database updates...

edit: Kalimdor with hi res heightmaps and liquids now averages around 40MB working set, peaks at about 77MB. A long time ago, it used to take over 2GB to do low res with no liquids :)

Thx!

If I understand you correctly it should be this:

// now start building mmtiles for each tile
       printf("We have %i tiles.                          \\n", tiles->size());
       for(set<uint32>::iterator it = tiles->begin(); it != tiles->end(); ++it)
       {
           allVerts.fastClear();
           allTris.fastClear();

MeshData meshData;

allVerts.fastClear(); is not need - it already in loop...