Why not use the same repository at Mangos and ScriptDev2?

Guest Diantonix

Because that's two different projects.

"That would greatly facilitate the build time." -> come on, it takes 30 seconds more the first time you install MaNGOS/SD2...after that it's the same.

Yes but us poor people using Windows have to compile 2 times just for 1 exe...and that takes a little-lot more time...but as you stated they are 2 seporate projects even though a lot of Developers are in both projects, and these forums would be a nightmare if you used it for both...The Luda would never get any sleep trying to keep it all running!.....

Yes but us poor people using Windows have to compile 2 times just for 1 exe...and that takes a little-lot more time...but as you stated they are 2 seporate projects even though a lot of Developers are in both projects, and these forums would be a nightmare if you used it for both...The Luda would never get any sleep trying to keep it all running!.....

For any Windows users (like myself) you can just add the ScriptDev2 project into the mangos solution and they will compile at the same time. It saves a little time, and since the projects aren't affected, it rarely causes update conflicts.

It also makes the Intellisense in ScriptDev2 a bit better, because then you can jump to implementation of mangos functions instead of just declarations.

and in addition_

* legal issues,

* the devs aren't the same, so there would be more 'commit access' problems possible

* SD2 is a relative easy starting point for C++ beginners, so if it was included in mangos, it might become more difficult to get started

* less functions available to SD2, so less hacks possible

Actually, to add to what I said earlier, you do need to make some slight modifications in the ScriptDev2 project file to make extracting revision work right. Near the bottom of the project file (or at least the VC90 one that I use) you will see a few lines like this:

CommandLine="cd "$(SolutionDir)""$(SolutionDir)..\\..\\..\\win\\VC90\\genrevision__Win32_$(ConfigurationName)\\genrevision.exe""

Simply change the SolutionDir into ProjectDir and add another ..\\ to get this:

CommandLine="cd "$(ProjectDir)""$(ProjectDir)..\\..\\..\\..\\win\\VC90\\genrevision__Win32_$(ConfigurationName)\\genrevision.exe""

and it should work.

• 2 weeks later...

There are no legal issues. It's all open source code. If you're referring to the people we're ripping off, if they can mangos SD2's dead anyway lol.

On the other hand, yes SD2/ACID is a large project with it's own developers so they should have their own forums. No need to cause more clogging here than we already have.

Lastly, I do the same thing patman does. It's a <1% variable that I have anything go wrong. Boohoo you have to spend another 30 seconds compiling SD2.

I don't wanna be rude; but it's fine as it is. Leave it be lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use