[not mangos problem] Crashes on character creation

• 40 years later...

what you meaning "got thet core".... if you think some repack binary then we not support its. With corect DB data i can't confirm that it crash.

Also "almost always crashes when I create a character" wrong description for useful report. Alwasy provide exactly information for repeating problems. Generic conclusion only optional part of report. For crash at creating realy useful info: any tested and crash race/class combination.

I downloaded the core source from git and the SD2 source from svn and built it according to the instructions on the forums. (Which, incidentally, are not very clear about how to incorporate SD2 or the database updates. If I wasn't an experienced programmer, I wouldn't have made it this far.)

Creating any character and class combination almost always causes mangosd to crash. Once I successfully made a blood elf priest and was able to log in. Once I made a draenei hunter, but mangosd crashed when I tried to log in. Those successes were not repeatable.

Edit: compiling with MSVC 2010 on WinXP.

I think it's because I don't have UDB installed. The core playercreateinfo_spell refers to spells that aren't scripted... if that's the right terminology. When I did this:

update playercreateinfo_spell set race = race + 100;

I could create any character without problems. However, many of them crashed the server when I attempted to log into them. For example, I cannot log into any humans. But I can always log into gnomes and dwarves. I think maybe the humans are in invalid locations.

The newest UDB I can find is version 0.12 (388) for mangos build 9539. Is there a newer version somewhere?

Well, I got UDB 392 installed, including the patches that came with mangos itself. I still cannot reliably create any race/class combination unless I renumber all the races in playercreateinfo_spell, and I still cannot log into humans.

Any suggestions? I don't see anything on the console or in the error logs that points to anything in particular.

I rebuilt mangos completely stock without SD2 and set up a new db without UDB. Still having the same problem.

This might have something to do with it... tons of errors like this in Server.log:

2010-08-22 23:16:23 ERROR:Item (Entry: 129) not exist in `item_template` but referenced in `CharStartOutfit.dbc`

In the default minimal database that comes with mangos, the item numbers are all wrong. For example, "Squire's Pants" should be entry 23477, not entry 44.

(Edit: There are multiple items called "Squire's Pants", and one of them is indeed item 44. Those are given to Human paladins. There are different Squire's Pants given to, e.g., Dwarf and Draenei paladins. And most of those entries are missing from a stock mangos.)

Humans: no humans can be created. mangosd always crashes.

Night Elves: DKs can be created and logged into. Wars can be created, but not logged into. Hunters, rogues, and druids cannot be created. Strangest of all, attempting to create a priest does not produce a crash or error, but it does not create the character. Furthermore, classes that normally can be created then exhibit the same behavior until mangosd is restarted.

I'm done screwing around with this until somebody comes up with a useful suggestion.

I now have build 10400, with a fresh database creating using the included scripts. Same problem.

A few patterns are emerging: no humans can be created. No hunters of any race can be created. What do hunters and humans have in common?

Did you install UDB or another DB project, if not go do it, it'll probably fix these problems.

What, so more people can handwave me because UDB is officially unsupported?

Seems kind of silly if MaNGOS really cannot function without unsupported third-party addons. So by definition, any working installation is unsupported. No wonder people are so unhelpful around here.

So by definition, any working installation is unsupported.

You're right, but you're wrong. :)

Let's take a car as an example.

MaNGOS is the constructor. Gives you the engine, car body, windows, etc.

But after that, you need a lot of thing to drive your car : gas, engine oil, washer fluid, tires, etc.

UDB, YTDB and others provides you all these things. As Shell, Exxon or Total does for your car.

You need to feed your core. Give him something he can work with.

MaNGOS is not (fortunately not yet) a "launch and play" software that your blind little sister can install in 30 seconds.

"No wonder people are so unhelpful around here."

You're right : nobody takes the time to understand what is really MaNGOS, so they yell on forums "NOBODY HELP ME MANGOS SUCKS". As if the whole world owed them something.

Later, people who used to be helpful are just tired and stop being helpful.

No wonder people are so unhelpful around here.

If that is your attitude, I suggest you leave and never come back!

I very strongly suggest you look around the forum for a very long time and read, read and then read some more. Eventually you'll find there are some very VERY helpful people around here. More helpful than you can possibly imagine!

You're right : nobody takes the time to understand what is really MaNGOS, so they yell on forums "NOBODY HELP ME MANGOS SUCKS". As if the whole world owed them something.

Well, let me put it this way... I've been using open-source software for about ten years. OSS is certainly not known for its consistent operation or thorough documentation. But this project is by far the biggest clusterf--- I have ever seen. If I ever get it working, I'm going to fork it.

Well, let me put it this way... I've been using open-source software for about ten years. OSS is certainly not known for its consistent operation or thorough documentation. But this project is by far the biggest clusterf--- I have ever seen. If I ever get it working, I'm going to fork it.

you really expect help when all you seem to do is flame mangos and anyone who tries to help? Dropping the attitude problem might get you further in mangos, and life.

Stick to the one thread, instead of however many it is you made, multiple posting of the same repeated things just annoys people.

You were told that this was a DB issue and NOT a mangos issue, perhaps you should try taking note of the information people give you.....