Multithreaded maps performance discussion

And how stability with last revs+patch?
40h uptime, 1,1k player peak with mangos rev from 25th Oct.
nice, what additional patches have you installed (like arena,alterac)?

and "latest" != 25th oct. ;)

Leak = Lucker

I'm really curios how you do that, I would be happy if it would run better with a 200-300~ peak. I wanted to PM you but you have PMs disabled. I personally have mostly lag issues which seems to be Char DB related.

As DasBlub asked it would be interesting to hear what you use and what machines / opteration system you have. (My Quadcore Gameserver get with 300 testers at 30-40% already without SQL etc.)

Thanks in advance :)

operating system? :P
25h uptime, with 14** on,..

seems stable, with many patches, over the forum,. alterac+arena too..) someimes a little lags, but its ok)

You guys should try updating the mysql libs with that amount of people you prob have allot of SQL activity.
Linux, x86, ~800 peak online, average uptime 1-2 days,

server sometimes crashes on scriptdev scripts or restarted manually

Please go here http://getmangos.eu/community/viewtopic.php?id=4461 for further mtmaps/peroformance related discussion, so we can give this thread finally a rest.

10lettersforthesakeofposting

• 38 years later...

I run x64 gentoo with mysql 5.0.60.

About 14 custom patches (arena, mtmaps, anticheat are the bigger ones)

80% of my crashes are from MapInstanced::GetInstance or Spell: DoAllEffectOnTarget as reported serveral times.

But either nobody cares about crash reports anymore or nobody is able to fix those two things.

I managed to get 100h+ uptime with 1k players once but then another warlock killed the server with the famous Spell: DoAllEffectOnTarget bug.

I run x64 gentoo with mysql 5.0.60.

About 14 custom patches (arena, mtmaps, anticheat are the bigger ones)

80% of my crashes are from MapInstanced::GetInstance or Spell: DoAllEffectOnTarget as reported serveral times.

But either nobody cares about crash reports anymore or nobody is able to fix those two things.

I managed to get 100h+ uptime with 1k players once but then another warlock killed the server with the famous Spell: DoAllEffectOnTarget bug.

just to ask, what hardware do you have? (i.e quadcore,4gb ram,...)

and have you vmaps enabled? and what's about lags? have you no problems with lags/disconnects? i'm interessted in this, because you had 100h+ uptime which seems for me to be unreachable actually :(

Two machines, worldd runs alone on X2 3ghz with 6GB.

Vmaps disabled only for not-instanced world (0,1, 530 mapids), vmaps are still bugged like hell and create massive spell lag if globally enabled (tested recently again), not to mention the crazy memory consumption.

Recent revisions have some lag issues again, before i had no lag at all. Gonna check what latest revision is like any soon.

You are running windows, right? Atm it seems like that mangos + ACE + win -> fail

**edit

Ah before i forget

Without mtmaps the cpu consumption for mangos threads at 1k players was like

12% net

12% net

80% main

(i assume)

now it is like

12% net

12% net

40% main

20% map

20% map

(might be even less on map threads, i have no real numbers in mind atm)

The load is slightly higher but there is at least no more thread that gets fucked because a single core can't deliver the required performance.

Two machines, worldd runs alone on X2 3ghz with 6GB.

Vmaps disabled only for not-instanced world (0,1, 530 mapids), vmaps are still bugged like hell and create massive spell lag if globally enabled (tested recently again), not to mention the crazy memory consumption.

Recent revisions have some lag issues again, before i had no lag at all. Gonna check what latest revision is like any soon.

You are running windows, right? Atm it seems like that mangos + ACE + win -> fail

on my own machine (home computer just to develop) i'm running windows, right. but our mainserver (where all people connect) is a linux rootserver. we have two rootservers, one for mangosd and realmd and one server for forum+db.

we also recently tested again to enable vmaps global (because of some idiots in the arena which casted throught the wall -.-) but then there have been enorme lags. vmaps are also enabled in instances.

lags are allready "normal" on our server, you just ask in teamspeak if it's a lag or a disconnect (i hate disconnects in bgs/instances) :(

you said bevore, in which functions your server crashes. how have you found this out? have you just looked at the crashlog?

@hitman, just correct me if i say something wrong about our servers ;) (he's our admin, our boss :))

Running the server with GDB by default.

many thanks for this advice, i've posted now a request in our forum, hope the admin will try it. is there something to where attention should be paid to?

i'll try it myself this evening on my windows server (is gdb for windows available?)

There should be guides about that on forums about debugging.

Google will answer you that question. ;)

i'm @ work, so no time for google ;). but i've a good idea, why you don't write a guide how to debug mangos under linux? this will increase the bugreporting because everybody will have running a debugger and everybody will have the same debug output. this will increase the stability and the speed of mangos. you see, YOU could make great changes to mangos with a single tutorial :D

Last time I checked there aren't any about gdb. We desperately need one in the linux crash dump thread so if anyone can write one please do.

Yes that would help a lot :)

About MT...

I personally really like the MT Maps Branch and it work fine for me on Windows and on Linux.

Before it looked like this... (200 Testers~)

cpuspikesmode2db2.jpg

Now its more like this.. (200 Testers~)

15957245ny1.jpg

I'm just curios how some can have more then 1000 Testers and that high stability oO

mhh gdb is not that hard to use..

$gdb path/to/file
...gdb needs a bit time to start
gdb-console>run
..mangos starts
.. mangos crashes
gdb-console>bt
some information about the latest things

$ means that you run this in your normal bash

and ">" means the intern prompt of gdb..

mhh gdb is not that hard to use..

$gdb path/to/file
...gdb needs a bit time to start
gdb-console>run
..mangos starts
.. mangos crashes
gdb-console>bt
some information about the latest things

$ means that you run this in your normal bash

and ">" means the intern prompt of gdb..

For what stands "..." I don't understand it completely.

$gdb path/to/file -> Like etc/mangos/bin ?

gdb-console>run -> To start it?

(I guess Mangos start then)

(Then when it crashes...)

gdb-console>bt -> Read the Debug Info's?

it just means random output..

your file also should be mangos-worldd i don't think that any (/etc/init.d/ for example) bash-script which starts a mangos-daemon can be checked with gdb (but maybe you'll test it by yourself)

and if you realy have your bin in etc.. it's ok, but etc is mostly used for configuration-files, not binary

here is my way to use gdb :

- enable core dump (less slowdown than launching with gdb I think) :

ulimit -c unlimited

- launch mangos as usual

- when it crashs , a core file is created (core.<pid> or just core):

$ cd path/to/mangos
$ gdb bin/mangos-worldd core.12345
> bt full
> info locals
> [insert other commands here]
> quit

I'm curious how 3rd party script libraries like scriptdev2 work with Multithreaded maps. Could you please PM me a crash or two (truncated for only the relevant information).

I can't really see how SD2 would be crashing more or less often with multithreaded maps as all scripts that "share information" are on the same map and thus should be in the same thread. Of course I haven't done much research into how the threads are implemented so I might be missing something.

I'm curious how 3rd party script libraries like scriptdev2 work with Multithreaded maps. Could you please PM me a crash or two (truncated for only the relevant information).

I can't really see how SD2 would be crashing more or less often with multithreaded maps as all scripts that "share information" are on the same map and thus should be in the same thread. Of course I haven't done much research into how the threads are implemented so I might be missing something.

for me doesnt crash