Multithreaded maps performance discussion

I am somewhat befuzzled as to how this works exactly, but I do have a question:

Should/will multithreaded maps increase performance on a single core cpu?

on a single core cpu there would be no advantage to a multiple threads as in the end all threads are executed on the same core. the multi threaded maps is, like stated above, to allow the OS to distribute the load to the additional cores on a multicore system.

on a single core system the OS alots time slices to each thread so you would see no advantage to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope so too because without this patch mangos lags like h*ll....at least the last time I tried. That's why I am sticking with an old revision..

Or is the big-lag-spike-thing solved in the latest Git-revisions because of maybe more async queries? Can someone confirm or disprove?

I hope so too because without this patch mangos lags like h*ll....at least the last time I tried. That's why I am sticking with an old revision..

Or is the big-lag-spike-thing solved in the latest Git-revisions because of maybe more async queries? Can someone confirm or disprove?

with ~600-800 players it lag's often, from time to time it's like hell (like you said)... hope someone fixes this

I currently running ~1250 people without any bigger problems, althought the main thread of mangos is draining 100% on core most of the time and you can already notice it's getting unsmooth ingame.

I also think the mtmaps patch could really help with that. There is free room on the other cpu core that could easily take 1 or 2 map threads.

• 3 weeks later...
The interaction as in combat, movement, etc. are the real performance drainers.
Interesting claim .. one would figure that handling creatures should take more time than players since there may be a thousand players but tens of thousands of creatures ..

• 1 month later...

compile error unter linux:

../game/libmangosgame.a(MapUpdater.o): In function `MapUpdater::activated()':

/../../src/game/MapUpdater.cpp:135: undefined reference to `DelayExecutor::activated()'

../game/libmangosgame.a(MapUpdater.o): In function `MapUpdater::activate(unsigned int)':

../../../src/game/MapUpdater.cpp:90: undefined reference to `DelayExecutor::activate(int, ACE_Method_Request*, ACE_Method_Request*)'

with actually revsiion from multithreading,a nd newest mangos git