Backward compatibility

When some API part dependent from another project that changes in ways not contoroled by mangos team this is impossible have backwards compatibility working well.

As noted by Ntsc attempt have client backwards compatibility will push code in wrong side and will only create performence/support problems.

As noted by TheLuda internal structures and related APIs in project beta state expected to change while depvelopment and selecting better implementions. Also its partly dependent from client features and its required rewriting for new features support in proper way. Freeze like structures for just backwards compatibility will only make some features implementation possible only in slow/hack ways.

• 38 years later...

Hmmm, ill prob get into trouble for posting this but screw backwards compatibility.

That is absolutely nothing to do with the mangos project. And would indeed impede its goals as I understand them.

Until you reach a point to surpass these great devs then I sugest you check out this wiki page sir:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asshole

Yours kindly as a low level programmer myself.

C. Mileto

if you are referring to backward compatibility as far as the client is involved then you would have to say that a certain commercial developer needs to learn the same. As it stands there is no way of connecting a client below 3.0.3 to any offi server because it is impossible due to significant changes in the way that client and server interact.

The absence of backwards compatibility is sometimes very intentional. Just like backwards compatibility is useful in some cases the lack of it is also useful in others.

I entend backward compatibility in the sense as mangos has entry points that these entry points are used by other programs. So, if the entry points disapear, well you know what happens.

It's just a remark but in a devellopment of a software it's an important point that should not be set aside.

I personally find no reason for backwards compatibility. All clients provide both old and new content. Only things that really change are player spells and abilities.

It is actually possible to implement client backwards compatibility but you'd be making a multiple client compatible server which would require a lot of "hacks" and "workarounds". It is also a lot of useless work that provides no real benefit as older client does not have any features that have been "taken out" beyond player spells/talents.