[Guide] How To Install CMake In Linux

many distros of linux ( including my fav flavour being centos ) do not include a repo for cmake so for those that dont know how here are the commands to install cmake

as of this post the latest is 2.8.4.

to get cmake install file

wget [url]http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.4.tar.gz[/url]

unzip cmake

tar xzf cmake-2.8.4.tar.gz

after changing directory there only three commands needed to install cmake, run each line individually ( dont forget the period infront of the bootstrap command )

./bootstrap
make
make install

• 2 weeks later...

Well he was specifically giving advice for those people using a distro that does not have prebuild package...

Those obviously need to build it from source, unless one of the prebuild packages from cmake.org fits their system, but from personal experience, prebuilt "generic" binaries can be a nightmare...

people that don't know how to use their distro's package manager should stay away from computers IMHO ;)

My system administrator recommends against downloading and installing software that isn't included in the OS's repository for compatibility and stability reasons. I have the newest CMake Linux binaries installed in my home directory and use this instead, and it works fine (CentOS 5.4 x86)

• 1 month later...

I have some new instructions for how to best install cmake 2.8 on Centos, ScientifcLinux etc etc.

yum remove cmake
cd /tmp
wget [url]http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.4.tar.gz[/url]
tar xzf cmake-2.8.4.tar.gz
cd cmake*
./bootstrap
make
make install
ln -s /usr/local/cmake*/bin/* /usr/bin/

This is actually the way I have just finished getting it to work on CentOS 5.5 and ScientificLinux 6.0

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just getting a new install of OpenSuse 11.4.8 running and cmake is not installed by default but here is the process to get it installed

sudo zypper install cmake

password:########

This works for both the Gnome and KDE versions and also it will install ether x86 or x64 version depending on the version of OS you installed

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use