Using MANGOS for an MMORP commercial game ?

Nicotz

The mangos project is a full featured World of Warcraft server suite, including servers for authentication, client updates, world content serving, and battlegrounds. Additional features include tools to build and develop game content. It is compatible with client version 3.3.5a.

mangos is an educational project. This means, our primary interest is to learn and teach us and our users more about C++ project development in a large scale. Our software is not intended for running public servers, and we do not support that.

not for a WOW server

basically, mangos *could* be used for something different than wow. but the truth is, that throughout the code many wow things are hardcoded. you'd have to do a major rewrite in order to create another game. also, you'd have to write another client which is using the same protocol (-> see pseuwow). i'm not sure if it'd not be easier to write a new server from scratch and maybe just get some ideas from mangos.

i'm not sure if it'd not be easier to write a new server from scratch and maybe just get some ideas from mangos.

Arg ! I'm not a network expert :/. I think I really need something already existing, documented, and where there is a community that will be helpfull for my project :/ Do you have such existing open source SDK (I don't know if it's a kind of SDK :rolleyes:) in mind that better corresponds to my needs ?

MaNGOS indeed has a lot of WoW related code, the only thing I use the MaNGOS source for when working on my own attempts at engines is to borrow ideas from it. For example the Log class and various other things such as the abstraction for Unit->Creature/Player, etc. more as inspiration than base.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use