problems with emails from this forum

Guest andreasaspenberg

We'll be using a different tool to send forum mails in the upcoming weeks.

Sadly the mail issue is nothing easily fixed and will cost my money to fix it :(

Dont you get free SMTP/POP3 servers with the webhost you probably are using for getmangos.eu? (And usually like 5 email adresses)

- LilleCarl

having email accounts and pop3 have little to do with sending email from a server. There are other reasons that could cause the email to be marked as spam, incorrect or contradicting headers. Some servers check SPF records. some servers do a reverse dns lookup on the IP and check if it is prefixed with numbers (they use this as a way to "guess" if the host is a dynamic ip host, common source of spam, this method sometimes results in false positives). or sometimes its just user error where they accidentally marked an email as spam once and the server remembers that action for emails from the same sender. and in the case of proxying outgoing mail from one server to another server, proxies will commonly be blacklisted and either rejected entirely or marked as spam (this can also happen without the proxy but may be less common)

for the record i've received email on my hotmail account for topics i've been subscribed to just fine

but if receiving servers already think emails from mangos are spam and alot of servers are filtering them, then it is too late to implement an email authorization setting.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the official fluxbb way is to send an email to the user with an "activation" link, if their server thinks mangos is blacklisted and drops the mail then the user can never fully register

EDIT: based on lillecarl's reply below, the same still applies, since they won't be able to receive a password upon registering if the server rejects the email

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use