Server Manager

deadanhero

Hey guys I have an idea and just not enough know how to execute on it. Long story short the computer i'm running my server on will occasionally reboot (issue with a short on a usb port causing reboot so forth and so on) and I'm not constantly at my computer to ensure the server stays running. Essentially I want to develop a program that runs a simple if then statement but it needs to actually run executables. I would set the program to run at the boot of the computer and all it needs to do is check if realmd.exe and mangosd.exe are running and if they are not it needs to start them. It seems simple enough on paper but I haven't been able to get anything to work. Any idea's or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pyro you are absolutely right that would work. I hadn't thought of doing just that my mind immediately leaped to a more complex program assuming I might run into a situation where the realmd or mangosd itself might crash or some other complexity that I had yet to think of. So until I do run into one of those situations I feel this solves everything. Thank you.

You may also consider adding realmd.exe and mangosd.exe as a Service. This will allow your server to not only start every time Windows boots, it will also ensure the server is not interrupted or prevented from starting by other applications that load on system boot.

Also, make sure you have installed MySQL as a Service, too. It's usually done by default.

Thank you UnkleNuke I think that is what I will try next. I tried adding realmd and mangosd to the list of programs that run at boot unfortunately when I restart the computer just to make sure everything was kosher the two "command" windows for realmd and mangosd opened but the closed all of a second later. I will go ahead and try to make them a Service and yes MySQL is also a Service.

If you dont have a password on the machine or just set it to autologin (like this http://goo.gl/dkn2H) then you can just add shortcuts to the restarter in this folder:

C:\\Users\\LilleCarl\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Startup

(Requires that you are running windows7 and english) else the "startup" might have another name, on swedish windows its called "autostart" instead of startup etc..

This is how i would have done it (No that is a lie i wold have installed GNU/Linux on the box and then just add a cron job to run it on reboot)

If you want to install Linux (This requires that you only use the computer for running the server) then i can gladly help you with that, people think it is harder, but it is actually 10 times easier to manage a wow server on linux =)

- LilleCarl

Hey guys just checking back in with everyone. I solved the problem as far as reboot goes. After a bit of digging I locate a program called Startup Delayer and it solved the issue I was having with it all crashing as soon as start up happens. By delaying the applications from starting by 5 seconds it gives MySQL a chance to initialize and it now pops up after a reboot or crash no problem. Thank you all for all the help.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use