Looking for tester :D

Kaiosown

Well, the D3 Emu repo on Github was closed down recentely..

... which is a different story.

Anyway, calm down. The test server is there for testing, and it will not change anything. We're not making any money from this, and if anything at all then I would expect that Blizzard would shut down the numerous public server earning truck loads of money. After all mangos is no money maker for us, it's more of a constant fund loss.

Well, the D3 Emu repo on Github was closed down recentely..

... which is a different story.

Anyway, calm down. The test server is there for testing, and it will not change anything. We're not making any money from this, and if anything at all then I would expect that Blizzard would shut down the numerous public server earning truck loads of money. After all mangos is no money maker for us, it's more of a constant fund loss.

i agee, but i think Vladimir point of view is : we provide the emulator, so if blizzard decide to sue MaNGOS all servers wil be afraid and shut down or something like that ?

To expand a bit, although it's a very grey area, the license only says that data can not be obtained using third-party tools from or through the service/client. It does not specifically state if you cannot copy files that the client uses which would be maps and client database files, however a lot of the database content mangos uses (UDB for example) may or may not have been gathered through theses means which i'd assume would be an issue (note i'm not a lawyer in any shape or form, just stating what i read)

Also up until this month mangos as an entity/organization did not have an official running version of the source or even a compiled version for that matter, which meant none of the data was being officially used by mangos. Even if a compiled running version of the mangos source is meant only for testing i see nothing in the license that says that's ok even for non profit educational purposes, at least without permission

I myself am very excited to see a central debugging/testing area, but I see it as being far more of a risk than a benefit and think the admins should be very cautious venturing down this road

Antiroot, i think it is illegal to extract client data. But lets say like this, if you encrypt the medium where you store illegal files. Then you should be safe. I guess the "police" would take the server down, then try to open it and see what the HDD contains, if its encrypted the key was lost on shutdown and you are safe. I guess?

My intent was not to say what is legal or not (I'm not in a position to know the laws for every country), also not to argue with you at all, LilleCarl ;) my point was that before the idea of a test server, mangos was not doing anything that violated any licenses (as far as i know.) But now there is a test server and even talk of merging scripting and database projects into mangos so the question is how far can we actually go before crossing the line of what is ok and what is not. I know i'm getting slightly off topic here so if anyone wants to contribute to this discussion we should start a new thread for it.

Antiroot, i think it is illegal to extract client data. But lets say like this, if you encrypt the medium where you store illegal files. Then you should be safe. I guess the "police" would take the server down, then try to open it and see what the HDD contains, if its encrypted the key was lost on shutdown and you are safe. I guess?

In many countries you _must_ provide key for encripted data by police request. In GB for example as i read. In other case this already considered as crime.

In many countries you _must_ provide key for encripted data by police request. In GB for example as i read. In other case this already considered as crime.

Solution: Het i forgot the key! Then they can't say shit;)

I feel that this discussion is twisting what is a serious matter into something of a joke, I mean no offense to anyone. As far as which countries laws need to be taken into account, i'd assume it would be any country that mangos as an organization is present in. From just a quick glance looks like getmangos.eu points to a server located in the US so anything on the forums must abide to US law, the test server's IP looks to be from Netherlands but it's PTR record has ccTLD of .de so it would need to conform to law of both Germany and the Netherlands. (note this info was obtained through whois lookups) also note that although it redirects, the test.getmangos.eu subdomain also falls under US law

As far as encrypting data, that is similar to merely concealing something physical. for example hiding an illegal weapon under the seat of a vehicle, which can actually make the crime more serious (i know digital and physical analogies are sort of apple:oranges) the point is depending on country there is no extra "security" in claiming ignorance or using any form of deception.

and before someone says well all we have to do is take a magnet to the server/shred documents/or other wise destroy evidence, that is unacceptable for a community like this and we should approach this in a much more professional manner.

again i mean no offense to anyone, everyone has their own opinions, I'd just like everyone to view this with a more cautious perspective. I've learned a ton about programming that would have taken me far longer to do on my own because of this community and I'd hate to see anything that would put the community at risk

Archived