Current "Compiling Mangos" howto:

Auntie Mangos

Question

Here all guides. They still in old forum. And if the old forum will be turned off in august forever, as Luda says... they will be deleted too, as many other useful topics, such as warden for example. That's pretty sad.

Also here is a new guide for installing Mangos on Linux.

If you have any other questions. Ask.

After you patching SD2 enter mangos directory. Create dir, for example build. Then cd build and in console type:

cmake ../ -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt -DDEBUG=0

make

make install

Some explanation:

Wat means -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt ?

/opt - directory where Mangos will be installed. Ofc you can chose other directory.

-DDEBUG=0 - compile in debug mode, -DDEBUG=1 - compile release

And you have compiled server.

WooHoo! Thanks Heaps!

I must've blinked around the bit where that new guide talks about "cmake"ery because it just didn't seem to make sense for me. Anyway, it's compiling and so far no issues. :D Naturally I'll be reporting back if I can make it work like a bought one!

EDIT: Oh, another thing that fell out of my head, "make -j 5" is appropriate for my server running dual Xeon processors with dual cores?

8 answers to this question

This would seem to be pretty straight forward for most of you I'd imagine but I can't for the life of me seem to find any instructions, guides or howto's on compiling/installing Mangos that works with this code in it's current form. I'm still new at all of this. As I mentioned 3 seconds before the old site died, I'd only just found a working guide on the then Wiki that got me up and running. Every other guide that's now available online don't work and with the original Wiki still down and out (and may never see life breathed into it again from what I can gather), I'm back to being a spectator. With all the improvements and additions now filtering into the current Master I fear I'll never experience them in all their glory! Welcome to my World where I'm stuck in perpetuity on build 12340. :(

I'm all over the Database side of it and can (& have already) applied patches to bring it up to current along with modding the DB for Playerbot, Admin Websites and the like, it's just compiling Mangos that puts the kybosh on the whole show.

If it helps, I've tried compiles on Ubuntu 11.04 and Fedora 16 and 17. Generally I can Git clone/pull Master and mods (i.e. Playerbot) and apply patches for SD2/Acid but then all existing docs talk about autoconf/make commands that dump me back at prompt with a face full of errors and unhelpful "Help". Before someone asks, I've tried plenty of combos of code including an obvious clean Mangos Master.

LilleCarl! Where Are You! :P

[ 76%] Building CXX object src/realmd/CMakeFiles/realmd.dir/PatchHandler.cpp.o
In file included from /root/mangos/src/realmd/PatchHandler.cpp:23:0:
/root/mangos/src/realmd/PatchHandler.h:83:27: error: expected \\u2018;\\u2019 at end of member declaration
/root/mangos/src/realmd/PatchHandler.h:83:29: error: \\u2018override\\u2019 does not name a type
/root/mangos/src/realmd/PatchHandler.h:86:29: error: expected \\u2018;\\u2019 at end of member declaration
/root/mangos/src/realmd/PatchHandler.h:86:31: error: \\u2018override\\u2019 does not name a type
make[2]: *** [src/realmd/CMakeFiles/realmd.dir/PatchHandler.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/realmd/CMakeFiles/realmd.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
[root@spartacle build]# 

Awwww.... Now, this is just a syntax error in the PatchHandler.h file, right?

Looks like an issue: https://github.com/mangos/mangos/commit/118ce72acdceb984a6dd103f207fcb5fd62aff08#src-realmd-patchhandler-h-P6 . Try removing the two added override keywords in src/realmd/PatchHandler.h for now

Awesome! Worked a Treat, Thanks stfx. :D

Found and fixed similar issues for BufferedSocket.h:

[ 77%] Building CXX object src/realmd/CMakeFiles/realmd.dir/BufferedSocket.cpp.o
In file included from /root/mangos/src/realmd/BufferedSocket.cpp:23:0:
/root/mangos/src/realmd/BufferedSocket.h:57:31: error: expected \\u2018;\\u2019 at end of member declaration
/root/mangos/src/realmd/BufferedSocket.h:57:33: error: \\u2018override\\u2019 does not name a type
/root/mangos/src/realmd/BufferedSocket.h:61:65: error: expected \\u2018;\\u2019 at end of member declaration
/root/mangos/src/realmd/BufferedSocket.h:61:67: error: \\u2018override\\u2019 does not name a type
/root/mangos/src/realmd/BufferedSocket.h:62:66: error: expected \\u2018;\\u2019 at end of member declaration
/root/mangos/src/realmd/BufferedSocket.h:62:68: error: \\u2018override\\u2019 does not name a type
make[2]: *** [src/realmd/CMakeFiles/realmd.dir/BufferedSocket.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/realmd/CMakeFiles/realmd.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
[root@spartacle build]#

How many cores do you have? That number use.

For example if you have 8 cores, than type next:

make -j 8

make install -j 8

Sweet, Thanks! :D

@velvet no harm, and i meant no offense, just didn't want any new members trying to build servers using the wrong options

those of us that are familiar with building source usually see 0 as no and 1 as yes to begin with, but a very new user may not. so my intent was only to clarify

@velvet no harm, and i meant no offense, just didn't want any new members trying to build servers using the wrong options

those of us that are familiar with building source usually see 0 as no and 1 as yes to begin with, but a very new user may not. so my intent was only to clarify

Relax :) All ok :) I was just tired after spending night trying to compile mangos under mingw in windows. And as you say debug option for me not exactly correct. I accustomed to release 1 & debug 0... so mechanically wrote so :)

Thanks Heaps!! Sorry I haven't reported back earlier but thanks to the advice, got through the compiling and have a brand new Mangos Server to fire up. I'll follow up with another post on multiple realms if I can't research enough on the net.

Cheers Guys!

:D

Archived