Crash on Character Creation

Auntie Mangos

Question

In this thread http://getmangos.eu/community/viewtopic.php?id=15457 (curiously the same title) he says

I just compiled mangos without any SSE support, and this looks like it did the trick. I can now log in and play without any issues so far. I'll try to see if I can get SSE support, but not SSE support another time, and I'll see if I can do this same trick compiling for linux, since I do want to switch to linux soon.

How do I compile without SSE support?

Alternatively I did pick up a $40 Dell'>www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/1750_specs.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjFoSvNESiCH8RB6016ITyS1PJxWxSFqIqLTnS5k-NrwqcKgFaCb2AN-6yRm6bbmEfO-6YM8L0wGrCqafiMXLdDGZi0cSIcb9ULIkWwN47ne2nKhtlp2UH72Uox1J7zz52LM6Kn&sig=AHIEtbS_Yy2SK_rYmClBuWM2fEDny6gFVA&pli=1]Dell PowerEdge 1750 Server yesterday and have been procrastinating setting it up so far. Probably the better solution.

14 answers to this question

MMX and SSE really have nothing to do with multimedia specifically, multimedia is just one of the applications for them and at the time of introduction it was all the hype. What these actually do is SIMD instructions, which stands for Single Instruction, Multiple Data. So with these extensions you can use one instruction on a whole set of data simultaneously. MMX can only do integer, while SSE adds floating point SIMD instructions.

MMX usage also blocks the Floating point unit, so using both MMX instructions and floating point calculations will cause very slow switching between MMX mode and FPU mode, SSE does not have this slow switching issue.

So MMX and SSE can be useful when using the same instruction on a larger set of data at once and SSE adds Floating point capability to that and reduces the performance impact when using the Floating Point Unit.

mangosd.exe is crashing on character creation and I do not know why. Here is a screenshot:

LZZii.jpg

I get a database error log of

2012-08-15 11:53:54 Spell (id: 33824) have SPELL_EFFECT_QUEST_COMPLETE for quest 10162 , but quest does not have SpecialFlags QUEST_SPECIAL_FLAG_EXPLORATION_OR_EVENT (2) set. Quest SpecialFlags should be corrected to enable this objective.

you can view the entire crashlog here: http://pastebin.com/UAgxXQ3F

I've tried using accounts created though my web interface and accounts made from mangosd.exe itself ( create account useruser password )

I am using the mangos db from https://github.com/mangos-one/database

Been running OregonCore (TrinityCore for TBC) for several weeks, however they have performance and development issues, so we want to switch to MaNGOS.

Crash not related quests. Base at last log lines crash related to item template id 37 (Worn Axe). Base at fact that this is expected initla item then possible problems in Db related to item template or applied item enchantment/talent. Last possible if you use some custom bonuses applied to characters at creating maybe ....

Reverted to a clean mangosd.conf but the problem persists.

I don't understand how it can be a DB problem if I am using a totally clean database from the official git.

Here is a screenshot where it crashes trying to create a mage. The last entry is related to Aura.

HtC68.jpg

same DB error in DBErrors.txt?

2012-08-15 14:42:41 Spell (id: 33824) have SPELL_EFFECT_QUEST_COMPLETE for quest 10162 , but quest does not have SpecialFlags QUEST_SPECIAL_FLAG_EXPLORATION_OR_EVENT (2) set. Quest SpecialFlags should be corrected to enable this objective.

I used to run my server on hardware with an Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. That was back when client 3.2.2a was the version supported and I never saw a crash like that.

Unless there's been some fundamental core changes that raises issues with older hardware, I'd say that log and crash report looks more like it's due to your server being a repack, or at least heavily patched with customizations. If so, trying to use a clean DB will create even more problems.

Where, exactly, did you get your server core from, Chunjee?

The crash is not related to any customization or changes to the official core, it's just hardware related problem. The weird issue is that you can change to SSE if your CPU doesn't support SSE2 but it still crashes.

Might be an issue with old AMD CPUs or it might be some bad core code, but atm the only solution is to disable SSEx all together for those who compile the server on a Socket A machine.

If you don't want to use git to apply the fore-mentioned patch then just Right-click every project in the solution, go to Properties -> Configuration Properties -> C/C++ -> Code Generation and set Enable Enhanced Instruction Set to Not Set, then rebuild the solution.

Thanks for that information, everyone, most especially to LilleCarl for that link with the necessary core fixes.

I do wonder if this only affects MaNGOS-One or is it present in the other branch projects, including the main core? If not, then what is different about One that causes these issues with AMD's older multimedia extensions?

MaNGOS master had the same issue for me quite some time ago, I only tried compiling a windows version with VS 2010 when running it on a Pentium 3 (SSE support, but no SSE2). Turning off SSE2 manually did not help, but turning off SSE too did work.

Later on I tested where the problem was by turning off the SSE one part at a time and if I remember correctly the problem was in one or two of the libraries that came with MaNGOS.

It might be a problem that only occurs with the combination of Pentium3 and Athlon XP CPU's running windows, because I haven't tested it on Linux, so I wouldn't know if it's a compiler issue, or OS issue, or library issue, or a combination.

I haven't had the issue since, because now I just turn all SSE off, I have not seen any performance hit on these older CPU's so it doesn't seem like SSE support is very important on older CPU's.

Archived