Starting from 0

l133861

Question

Hello. I am lately interested in the mangos project , but I have some problem finding out how to start. I would like to link me a guide/guides/website/etc that can help me to go from 0 to actually be able to script things in 1.12 wow. I am sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to ask but couldn't find anything else.

10 answers to this question

If you wish to learn scripting for any version of MaNGOS that you like, please register and log in at the ScriptDev2 forums. They have many guides, tutorials, and scripting projects to help you learn how to make your own scripts.

You can find their forums at http://scriptdev2.com

Inside the MaNGOS source code there are two documents, script_commands.txt and EventAI.txt, which describe the scripting commands and their usage. You can find those two text files in the folder labeled "doc" in your MaNGOS source code.

First you download, and install all tools needed for mangos.

Then you download and compile mangos and scriptdev sourcecode.

Then you learn the basics of the c++ language.

Then you start "scripting" within the scriptdev library.

Thanks you for you answer. By now I have managed to set up my mangos server ( offline). But from this stage I have no Idea what I am gonna need to make my own scripts ( for example make a boss to cast a certain spell). So what I am actually looking for is guidance for the next step or a guide.

ScriptDev. it is a subproject to mangos. Then you just read exising scripts and try understanding them. That is the way i learned, so i dont know any others really.

So I will have to get that ScriptDev and with that I will be able to read existing scripts?

ScriptDev. it is a subproject to mangos. Then you just read exising scripts and try understanding them. That is the way i learned, so i dont know any others really.

So I will have to get that ScriptDev and with that I will be able to read existing scripts?

If you have successfully set up a private server, you should already have ScriptDev2.

First a few details would help. You want 1.12, so you will have to use mangos-zero, with the server, scriptdev0, and the matching database.

Then it would help to know if you work under Windows, Linux, Mac OS, etc. Depending on that there are different compilers, database tools, etc. that you can use. Personally I use Arch Linux with QT-Creator and MySQL Workbench to make changes and additions to mangos-zero for 1.12 WoW.

If you have successfully set up a private server, you should already have ScriptDev2.

ScriptDev2 is not needed to run a mangos server tho, and he had it offline. How should i know? And this is the best way of learning.

I dont get it. How does WOW work without scripts? And what does this have to do with playing offline?

Back to topic, please.

You want to play vanilla WoW aka WoW 1.12 and set up a server. Correct? Then you need mangos-zero server, scriptdev0, and the database.

From there on, it depends on you operating system. mangos-zero does have scripts, and all that.

Archived