windows server vs ubuntu

Guest alexluana_

Question

19 answers to this question

Although my experience with Linux is very limited, I have to agree with you, locario... at least philosophically.

Debian is used as the foundation for many distros because it is so well managed and adheres to the open-source idea. Debian is the grandfather of all distros, perhaps even the very first, making it the standard.

Too many distros have either gone commercial or tried to lock users into their "brand" by using proprietary features. Distros like Debian are the best way because they offer unlimited freedom in what you can do, empowering users in ways others dread.

Of course, all that flexibility of choice comes with the price of actually learning how to master your OS and spending time setting it up to suit how you work. As the wise saying goes, "Nothing worth having is ever easy".

Several distros offer a "Server Edition". The OS is pre-configured without a GUI desktop, strictly Terminal interface, and other tweaks to keep it lean and efficient. If you need a GUI to manage things, you can use your other Linux PC to remotely administrate things.

While I generally use Windows for my servers (I use them at work all day, so know my way around them), if I do use Linux for a server, I use Debian Squeeze. I PXE boot a Netinstall and deselect all options under install software. Before any programs are installed, it generally shows about 32mb of RAM usage with only htop running. This generally makes for a rock solid system that uses next-to-no resources, other than what the services you install are using. That makes me very happy when testing a lot of things on my limited amount of ESXi host resources.

There really is no "better" per se. Each distribution has its own features that apply to different things. I learned the little bit of Linux I know from Ubuntu, but found it too bloated to work on the old hardware I was using at the time. I really liked apt for a package manager, so I decided to go with a slimmed down Debian install, and it fit my needs. CentOS is also good, haven't used it much, but I hear it's very stable. Raw speed and ultimate customization goes to Gentoo, but you've really got to know your stuff. Different strokes...

The trouble is that, like choosing a database, the "perfect" Linux distro for your servers depends on your workload, hardware, configuration, network, bandwidth, and your own preferences.

Some distros focus on tight security, others dumb things down to the point that you expect a Windows login screen. Some distros have coherent, well-managed software packages and installers, while others have little or no package methods, leaving it up to the end-user to hunt down and install software and their dependencies.

In all honesty, it will matter little which Linux distro you choose, as far as server performance. That all really depends on how you can work with the OS and manage your server. Most all Linux distros work the same, with the same set of tools. Apache Web Server is still a web server, whether you run it on Ubuntu or Slackware. The only real differences are the distro build philosophies, which GUI they each prefer, and the software package installer/manager they consider "best".

Your criteria may be to go with the most popular among the MaNGOS crowd, so you will have a support group. That would mean using Ubuntu or one of its forks.

My real advice to you is not to let other people's opinions make up your mind for you. Take the time to do some digging, learning about the features each distro offers that sets them apart from the rest. The one you are most comfortable using and can do the tasks you want done, using just the level of time and effort you're willing to put in, is the right choice.

So, its up to your way of doing these things. Do you just want a Linux with servers and database that works right out of the box or do you feel happiest when buried to your eyeballs in documentation and kernel hacking?

well, I love to read as much as possible about security improvements and performance improvements when we talk about linux... not same thing for windows... but when it comes to wow server, I am a classic reader...

I love to read, ask, search and digg until the end of my patience... only than when the answer finally comes out... I am happy, maybe after weeks, months of searching for a single topic that gives me all the points I wanted about my problem...

and YES I want to learn to hack the kernel to the edge of it... suck it until the last dram of performance was done...

I am planning to buy a server platform and transform it into a dedicated one... maybe create it from pieces... but in the I will do it...

my goal is this community in the end... create a server for it...vannila or wotlk...

debian also has desktop configuration. all popular linux distro by default has desktop-oriented configuration and requires manual tuning.

in practice we has real limitation of players in one server (in multithread environment! not in "clean mangos core", with this see limitation from win32) with mmaps+dVmaps

win32 - 200-400 (limited by max 3,2g memory on process + CPU power. multithreading in win32 has negative result).

win64 server edition - 600-800 (limited by CPU power only, multithreading in win very limited by kernel semaphore usage policy)

linux32 ? (not measured, at least 1000 on 8g RAM)

linux64 >4000 (not measured, limited by RAM amount only).

after this values we have high frequency crushes or big lags in game.

Linux will require more effort, but it's a great oportunity to sharpen your penguin skills while having a rock-solid server. Scripts and tools for managing MaNGOS on Linux are too numerous to list. Best choice if you plan on having a web server with Apache for your CMS.

Windows is good for a simple setup, but it begins to choke when you have large numbers of players. This may not be the case if you're using Windows Server instead of their desktop OS, but you will need more RAM to run a server, versus a similar setup on Linux. Running a web server is easier when using bundled software like XAMPP, but you lose flexibility. However, setting up Apache and the necessary extensions yourself is a huge pain in Windows environment, hence why most go with XAMPP. Fewer native tools, but they are good.

To sum it up, go with Linux if you want power, stability, flexibility, and good scaling. The only people I know that use Windows as a MaNGOS server platform are those who just don't know any other OS.

Before anyone accuses me of bias or being a penguin fan-boy, I used to run my server on Windows XP Pro and it is still my main OS, but I am migrating to Linux at long last specifically because I've always wanted a real OS! I just lacked the extra hardware to do so, until recently. I can say Linux has come a very long way since my first attempts at installing and using it back in 1999.

I would suggest staying away from Ubuntu. They're just trying to make Debian into what Linux would be if Microsoft owned it. Too much proprietary stuff is threatening to ruin Linux these days.

That being the case, I would encourage you to do just that. There may be days or even weeks where you make little progress. You might find a problem or technical detail that you will despair of ever understanding. The satisfaction you will have and the joy you feel in mastering such knowledge and skill makes the aggravation and time worthwhile. :)

Should you manage to open a server for this community, might I suggest WoTLK or Cataclysm? There are already test servers running for Classic and TBC.

Regardless of which clients you choose to support, I wish you the best in your efforts! :D

Archived