Gilneas city is empty! why?

Siavash

Question

21 answers to this question

What knowledge do you need to contributing? I want to help, but the only thing i know is HTML PHP & SQL.

Even without any coding knowledge, most projects welcome testers to proved detailed bug reports and cache files from retail players :)

Many people have provided cache files for the new zones and races in cata, but most of the starter quests and npc's for all races were changed in cata .

You wait for a DB Project to fix this.

Currently all 4.3.4 Projects are in alpha and are not even playable in any reasonable form.

You can do research but the advanced phasing required to be implemented will take time.

Vehicles currently do not even work so if it was spawned correctly you will not be able to get very far because you will be unable to complete some of the quests requiring vehicles at the very beginning of the Worgen questline.

So summed up Worgen are a VERY VERY long ways away from actually being functional.

I have personally sniffed data for the entire Worgen questline and plan to work on this in the future but to be honest the core is in such bad shape right now it is not even possible to get very much working currently.

You wait for a DB Project to fix this.

Currently all 4.3.4 Projects are in alpha and are not even playable in any reasonable form.

You can do research but the advanced phasing required to be implemented will take time.

Vehicles currently do not even work so if it was spawned correctly you will not be able to get very far because you will be unable to complete some of the quests requiring vehicles at the very beginning of the Worgen questline.

So summed up Worgen are a VERY VERY long ways away from actually being functional.

I have personally sniffed data for the entire Worgen questline and plan to work on this in the future but to be honest the core is in such bad shape right now it is not even possible to get very much working currently.

Thanks for information! so we should wait for fix that! :(

What about the last patches? for example 4.0.6? I want to run server with less bugs! So what is the best version for me?

I am able to play Worgen to Duskhaven on my test server - admittedly I have 4 quests on auto complete at the moment but 2 only need the EAI to be written.

3 quests in the start area require vehicles but 1 of the 3 can be completed without them.

Phasing is not advanced at all and nothing to do with the core, they are a simple "rewspellcast" to move from one phase to the next.

Most 406 servers have worgens almost blizzlike now, but they are running ArkCore or Skyfire which have advanced SAI support.

Phasing in core is not the issue guys.

The problem is that Cataclysm introduced MASSIVE amount of phasing. So to correctly spawn all the different phases will be an ENORMOUS effort. In fact this will be the single biggest challenge for the entire DB project (does not matter who's project).

Right now you guys are trying to play something Pre-Alpha... and wonder why stuff does not work.

We can sit here and say Project XYZ is so much better because few more things work or ect. Lets face it... ALL the projects are in extreme early stages of development. Core support is only working a fraction of what is required to get the game fairly playable and there is endless hours of Database development required.

If Blizz takes a year+ with a dedicated (and paid) team of dozens of developers to create this then you need to ask yourself how long it will REALLY take a few people doing it in their spare time without any kind of advanced development tools Blizz has.

If you want anything even REMOTELY payable go play 3.3.5a because 4.x.x is pretty much like starting over again from scratch as far as development goes (Especially for the DB Teams).

4.0.6 servers have had gilneas phased and working for a while now - it was not as hard as you are making it out to be - believe me - I have played a worgen on 4.0.6 servers AND THEY WORK!

LOL - don't over dramatise it.

I am not just talking about Gilneas for phasing. Yes the Worgen start (just like the Goblin) requires a phasing questline but not impossible. I am sure with hacks and auto-complete quests you can get by... but at least for our DB project that is not an acceptable option. Instead we work to get core functions working and implemented properly and then we create the DB using sniffed data to function in the core without workarounds.

Now as far as Phasing it WILL be the most difficult part of the game since all of map 0 and 1 are completely phased with LOTS of different phases due to all the new quest lines and ect.

So No, I am not going to "over-dramatize" but just state reality since I have been collecting data and playing Cataclysm from launch to the very last hour it was online (I have been planning Cataclysm DB Development for the last year).

in any case feel free to use whatever project floats your boat.

What do you mean for Phasing?!

I am new in this field . Can you tell me what is the version for us until now?!

Client 3.3.5a WOTLK is the current playable game available.

Client 4.3.4 Cataclysm has JUST started development in the last few months and will not be reasonable playable without major hacks and workarounds for 4 - 6 months (Or Much longer at the rate of development currently).

Now as far as Phasing it WILL be the most difficult part of the game since all of map 0 and 1 are completely phased with LOTS of different phases due to all the new quest lines and ect.

So No, I am not going to "over-dramatize" but just state reality since I have been collecting data and playing Cataclysm from launch to the very last hour it was online (I have been planning Cataclysm DB Development for the last year).

in any case feel free to use whatever project floats your boat.

As I said before ... there have been working cata db's around for a while - playable and blizzlike, without hacks or workarounds, and the reality is phasing is the easiest part.

Without the core support vehicles will be an issue, as I agreed from the start. The quests requiring auto complete on my local server are the vehicle ones which - like it or not - people will want auto complete available until such time as the core can support the more complex quest lines.

It is not about what db or core is better - yes it would be nice to have everything perfect, but emulation is far from perfect and no one expects 100% blizzlike... people want to get on and play a new race or a new zone they haven't had an opportunity to experience.

If emulation was perfect there would be no work left to do on the 2.4.3 or 3.3.5 cores which still today have quests set to auto complete on ALL db's sometimes just to allow players through the more difficult zones.

Yes, that is fine from a end-user player aspect.

For us developers we rarely even play the game. It is about the development and functionality on the server end.

So I guess it really depends on if you are here for a free game you want to be able to play now or if you are here for the reason most of us are here for... a Learning Project on how to develop an MMORPG Server and create the Database and scripting to bring that game to life.

85% of the Developers do not even play the game. In fact I played offi only for collecting data to make life easier for us.

It doesn't matter if you or I play the game - I only play to test myself, but the original question was from a guy who just wants to play a worgen - he probably doesn't care about the ins and outs or wheres and why fores - he wanted to know why when he tried to play a worgen he couldn't - simple, like the average end user.

My kids play on my test server - even they understand that 1 quest broken is ok if they can get through the next 20 in the chain.

What knowledge do you need to contributing? I want to help, but the only thing i know is HTML PHP & SQL.

Ok, to each their own.

So if it is not working properly then you are welcome to help develop it... nothing is actually stopping you from contributing.

I know I have done my share of contributing for the community over the last 5+ years.

Archived