[VoiceChat] Basic Questions

scholl3ss

Question

Hi guys!

I just signed up here, it's my first post. (You can see that - obviously - but I did not find another introduction to my toppic.)

So, this thread differs a lot from other people's topics here, but I hope, that someone can help me.

I never played WoW or any other MMORPGs, that's why I don't have much knowledge of it.

I'm an applied informatics student at university, and I have to write a termpaper about

ANYTHING(!) in a MMORPG. We do not have any limits for it - it has just to be about MMORPGs.

The length should be between 2 and 5 pages, excluding Overview, Literature etc.

As I said, I'm not really into this, so it's hard for me finding something to write about.

Since I'm very concerned about audio in my freetime, I wanted to do something in this area.

Unfortunately I did not find any information about the source of the official WoWservers (no wonder),

that's why I searched for some privateservers, and found Mangos.

(btw: The description of the community sounds pretty much like a cult :P)

I'm working much with C and VB (yea.. flame me guys - but I have to learn it for my company :/)

and i hope I can track the C++ Scripts - at least with some help of google.

I have several questions (yes, I googled and shit, but I didnt find much helpfull things):

- Is there a voiceserver included in mangos at all? (if not: ignore the remaining questions)

- Is the source for it public?

- Are common codecs used (I think so - would'nt be everything else inconvenient?)

- Could it be compared to the original server's voicechat?

- Is there a documentation anywhere? (I hope so - or I rather THINK so)

- Since this is a open-source project (I hope it is?): Is there a possibility of finding the guys who coded it, for some special questions

(I'll have to proof every damned word I'll write)

- Are there other open-source projects, that could be compared with Mangos? (Traffic usage, codecs, compression, latency...)

I know, that some of the questions are kind'a weird, but - as I said - I'm not into MMORPGs.

(I even have to check the spelling of M-M-O-R-P-G-s all the time..)

Ok - that's all for the moment.

With the progress of my work, and if there's a demand for it, I'm sure I can share the "results".

Thanks for your help already!

Olli

4 answers to this question

hi guys,

short update.

I was writing now for like 20 hours, my toppics have slightly changed.

Since I was - obviusly - too stupid to gather the information from the source (I did not find anything at all about voicechat, except a voicechathandler.c, that did not contain any useful information), I just concentrated on the voice-codecs themselfes.

I will come up with some techniques of a/d processing and especially voice compression codecs (G711, speex, lame for comparison - well, the codec guys 8-))

If anyone is interested, I think I can share the work (gotta ask my employer first), but it's in German (only some English quotes).

greetings

olli

While I've never used the voice chat on live, or in Mangos, it was implemented in patch 2.2.0 (http://www.wowwiki.com/Voice_over_Internet_Protocol).

If you wanted to look at the source to see if it works in Mangos, your best bet would be to start with mangos-one. When I played on live servers, we always used Ventrilo for voice chat - as we did in Everquest, EQ2, Dark Age of Camelot, and then WoW. There is Mumble, which is open source, and was intended primarily for gaming... that could tie in somehow I guess.

I've got some friends coming over to LAN tomorrow night, so I'll see if we can get in voice chat to see if it works (we play on a mangos-wotlk server). I'll let you know.

Archived