[Three] Not quite ready to go yet...

Mephisto_VI

Question

Okay, I used to use MaNGOS to run my own private server, but that was years ago and I have forgotten EVERYTHING. I followed the compile and install sticky in the FAQ section, but not sure its all correct. The mangosd.exe will auto close every time it is run. I don't remember that happening unless I had something configured wrong. I can't find what is wrong so can someone help me get this figured out please? This will be a lengthy process as I will need aid all the way to where I can create a character to test it out...

6 answers to this question

Ok, will try both suggestions. In case this is part of the problem, I have no data directory specified as I have yet to get an extractor to extract the mpq files (probably trying to extract the wrong ones...) Which mpq files do I need to extract?

On to the command window suggestion, it appears to be a SQL connection failure. Checking the running services (start-> (search bar services.msc)) I see its set to auto, but not running yet, clicking start on it says it terminated unexpectedly. May not have my server configured properly. Will it make a difference if the MySQL server is 64 bit but MaNGOS was built as 32 bit?

In regard to the log, no MaNGOS logs were created, only realmd logs. None of them show any info as to why it will not run.

If your data directory is not set MaNGOS will not start as it needs at least the maps and dbc files extracted and vmaps aswell iirc. This can be extracted using the tools found in the contrib folder after a clone. Start with ad.exe and go on with vmap_extractor.exe and vmap_assembler.exe. I don't think it should matter if you're running mysql 64-bit since the protocol between the two shouldn't be different because of that :) From what you're telling me about it not starting you would probably need to look into that though. Try reinstalling it and see if it starts then instead, also, you might need to reboot your computer for mysql to start working properly, i think the installer says so if it's needed.

Ok, now I know whats going on finally lol. Thank you all for the help so far. I will have to patch my installation before i can run ad.exe as the one i compiled doesnt support my version of WoW. But now I am proceeding in the right direction. Will post back once I have got patched and extracted. Might be a few days before I respond.

Archived