[SOLVED][Zero] Documentation

Biggssz

Question

Hello,

Can I find somewhere documentation about the code of MaNGOS-zero and the database (like "If you want to correct this, you should go there" or "this thing is handled in this file" or "this data is stored in this table" etc...) ?

Or can someone teach me the basis to understand the project ?

I know C++ and database very well, it's more about the structure of the code / database.

Thanks a lot

Biggssz.

9 answers to this question

Thank you for your help,

I have no precise question for the moment, I want to understand MaNGOS so I started to browse the files and I thought it would be easier with a good documentation.

I suppose that if I doens't understand some parts I will find useful answers here.

Thanks again for your work with the wiki.

Biggssz

If you want to learn more about mangos-zero, I can recommend to start off with the basics.

A good route is to inspect the whole chain starting with the map tools. They're not overly complex, and you can get a basic understanding of the client data we reuse. Combine that with the DBC files, and you'll already see a lot of relations all over the place.

Then start digging into the server itself. If you use Linux, you can e.g. build and run mangos-zero from within QtCreator which is a very pleasant way to step into the code.

Combine that with looking at the database wiki. It does contain a lot of knowledge in terms of where data comes from, what parts of the client define the basic for it etc. In theory you should have a basic understanding if you spend a week or two of reading and trying.

For anything that is not clear from reading any trying, you can of course ask me.

Yes. exactly. ad, vmap, mmap :) They're relatively small compared to the rest of the server, plus the vmap-assembler makes use of parts of the game library, so you'll by then already would peek into the server :)

The next mangos-zero release will probably make this easier, we're four days late, but we have some awesome news for zero in stock.

Archived