Differences Between Sources

Lithiria

Question

Hi all!

I am starting a new server from scratch and I wanted to know if there are any differences between the sources. Yes, I know they represent which expansion of the game you can play. I don't know how to say what I am asking, so please just hear me out.

Question 1: I want to know if there are things that work in one expansion that don't work in the source of the next higher expansion. Take the WotLK content as an example, is it possible that the WotLK source includes things that work in the WotLK content that do not work in the Cataclysm source? Does that make sense? Meaning, if I were to play WotLK content on a Cataclysm server, does everything work the same as if I were playing on a WotLK server?

Question 2: How well does the current Cataclysm source work? I have been running WotLK servers for years now and I have never considered a Cataclysm server because I remember there being much discussion about having to rewrite the entire mangos theory just because of the redesign of the game. Do vehicles work in the Cataclysm source? Do quest progression updates work? I don't want to go through the effort of making a Cataclysm server if it is not going to work at least 75% like a regular game. I would just as soon recreate another WotLK server and play that content if the Cataclysm content still is not working moderately well.

Thank you very much for your time!

-Lith

3 answers to this question

Question 1: I want to know if there are things that work in one expansion that don't work in the source of the next higher expansion. Take the WotLK content as an example, is it possible that the WotLK source includes things that work in the WotLK content that do not work in the Cataclysm source? Does that make sense? Meaning, if I were to play WotLK content on a Cataclysm server, does everything work the same as if I were playing on a WotLK server?

Answer: Yes from what I can tell.

Question 2: How well does the current Cataclysm source work? I have been running WotLK servers for years now and I have never considered a Cataclysm server because I remember there being much discussion about having to rewrite the entire mangos theory just because of the redesign of the game. Do vehicles work in the Cataclysm source? Do quest progression updates work? I don't want to go through the effort of making a Cataclysm server if it is not going to work at least 75% like a regular game. I would just as soon recreate another WotLK server and play that content if the Cataclysm content still is not working moderately well.

Answer 2: There are many things that do and do not work. I would consider it Alpha quality. It is playable though as long as you expect all things to not work. I have ran a cata server off and on for about 1 year now you can definitely play it. It isn't much work to get it to work though. Longest part is getting the data files extracted.

Archived