FreeBSD...

wolverine

Question

Alright. A few days ago, Unkle Nuke suggested that I continue my fruitions with FreeBSD and MaNGOS. However, I'm not getting very far. For me, sifting through code and reading it and writing it are three different things. Slight frustration on my end.

Anyway, I got a FreeBSD setup inside of a VM and got all the prerequisites installed, but am having trouble with "make"ing M2. It starts in with all the checks which is fine, but in the end it crashes/freezes/hangs on one specific check and I'm wondering if I am missing something totally obvious.

checking if new throws std::bad_alloc exception on failure...

My computer has been sitting at that check for about 15 minutes now. The hard drive lights up for a sec and nothing happens every so often. I was wondering if anyone might know why I am hanging at this part of make...?

BTW, AMD Phenom II Tri-Core, 3 GB of RAM and FreeBSD 10.0 in VMWare Player.

5 answers to this question

Well, I've been researching my issue all afternoon. It looks like I need to enable linux ports in order for this to begin to work. Then I need to look into porting everything into a native FreeBSD version. Which, of course, will not really break what has already been written. I'll just use some #ifdefs and #ifs to give it the ability to recognize BSD. ;)

For now, I'm going to enable linux ports and let y'all know how it goes from there. But so far, it's a total failure. :)

Sorry, wolver. I should have warned you about that. BSD ports are not compatible with Linux and I hate to say not one dev in all our history ever bothered to write that into the core. Nobody really knows why the BSD guys did that, but those non-standard ports have been a pain for everyone who's ever worked on cross-platform network code. Supporting them with MaNGOS won't be easy, but it will open the door for Mac users, too.

Look at it this way, you have a challenge into which you can sink your teeth!

You've just taken the first steps at becoming our new BSD guru. ;)

A new title, eh?

Kneel, good wolverine! :)

<Nuke whips Wii controller (with snap-on Zelda sword accessory!) out of its scabbard>

I DUB THEE... Sir Berkley de Facepalm!!

Now RISE and taketh thy lumps! :P

Seriously though... I must admire your courage to dive into what is, essentially, new territory. I also envy you for that same reason. So much has already been done there is little left to do that's new. We could use a few more brave and reckless souls like you. No telling where MaNGOS might go with such a crew.

(Announcing iMaNGOS! Loads and runs on iPod Nano. Of course, we had to eliminate about 80% of the functionality to get it to fit.)

Someone did once seriously propose getting MaNGOS to run on Android. It would work, too, if you loaded a Linux stub and terminal emulator first. Otherwise, you could do a native port. These new smart phones have more horsepower than my first TBC server!

I agree. I remember back in the 90s, a M$ video Gates did about how the PC would fit in your palm and be wireless and have the same power as a desktop. Looks like it is here finally. ;)

Either way, I'm trying to figure out whether to port M2 to BSD or to just try and fix the problems. For me, as stubborn as I am, and as long as it may take, I believe a fresh port would be the better route and then figure out how to integrate it into the standard github clone.

And if I had the ability to purchase a iPad or iPhone I would probably be considering a port to that as well. ROTFL! And Android should be a piece of cake since it is already Linux. Just would need to figure out how to make it native to the interface.

Archived