Minimum / Recommended Requirements + software versions

Guest hikikomori18

I'm trying to compile a list for general info for Mangos. Anyone that runs a private server or knows their stuff, please reply to this thread. I really need helpful information, and correct information to add to the wiki.

What are the Minimum Requirements for MaNGOS? Its obviously got to be able to play wow. But also to run a server itself what are some good specs?

Also the second part of the question is what versions of the required software to run MaNGOS are stable, or recommended.

A lot of the tutorials have outdated downloads or links to old software, like windows server 2003, I've heard some people running it on 2008,

There are some differences like VS2008 should include the SDK while VC2008 doesn't, and you need the xp version not the vista one, and other complications.

Git obviously needs to be the newest version which is like 1.6 right now.

mysql newest version

etc.

I'm trying to get as much information as I can. If you'd like to post what your specs are, and what works for you, I'd really appreciate it.

Please include what you're running. 2.4.3 3.0.8a 3.0.9. I'm really looking for 3.0.9 to keep everything current, but I can use the other data aswell.

Also if you're using any mods/addons, and their working fine, like AHbot, scriptdev2 etc.

I'll continue updating this post with new information.

"Thanks so much punked guru. Yea i know its going to be hard with the variety of hosts.

From what you've said, I think I'll call the minimum requirements for people, like lower end pc's running 40 or below population. That would be your basic, i'm starting a server to play around and maybe invite some friends.

The recommended requirements section sounds like it should be for the "public" hosts, or people above 40 population, maxing out around 200-400 population.

I think i'll pull up the stats on what it requires to run wow and compare them to the hosts that post their setup. Its likely to be about the same.

Mostly its the software I want to check. Most people don't realize they need .net framework, and what version they need. which I believe anything above 3 is ok. Same with a certain sp1 patch some vista computers need.

I'm definately going to use your milestones idea. "

Minimum/recommended requirements to play wow client:

0-20 Players:

40-100 Players:

200-400 Players:

500+ and beyond, "under pressure" running behavior: (Using Leak 's thread for information)

Another good thing to note is whether or not people are using a dedicated box, or not.

i have hosted realms on mates pc's that dont reach the minimum requirements for windows xp (SP2)...

and they have run servers with a couple of mates attached....

If the server is empty, it doesnt take up much resources atall....

compiling the server takes awhiel on lower spec'd pc's.

but just wait i suppose =/

same with the begining bit of loading the server up... takes "awhile" with lower spec'd pc's.

I think you need some kind of "Milestone" requirements

so for 10 people to join a server

100 people...

200... etc

varied by vmaps aswel.

another biggie is peoples upload speeds...

for the people that get a dedicated line etc, not so bad

and for the people on LANs like mine that are 10/100/1000...

the 1000 really helps

on the university network here:

1 pc...

Windows Vista x64 SP1.

Running in performance mode, with all visual effects disabled etc.

also running for background program performance.

4 x 2gb DDRII 800Mhz Ram (Dual Channeled)

Primary HDD: SataII 250gb Maxtor, (nothing fancy like raptors)

Secondary HDD: SataII 1Tb Maxtor (this stores loads of videos etc, which are also shared across the network)

Third HDD: SataII 1Tb Maxtor (stores music etc...)

Network:

Onboard connects to the Uni network

using a 10/100/1000 Cat-5 Cable... (Uni network is pretty immense)

PCI - 10/100/1000 Cat-6 direct to my pc...

I update mangos 2-4 times a week

i also run SD2, and minimanager website.

its rare for more than 200 students to attempt to get on...

but ive never seen the latency peek 40 for anyone. (and the person to have 40 was coz she was also downloading some other stuff neway.

I admire your effort in doing this, but you will struggle as it varies on so many different variables.

Thanks so much punked guru. Yea i know its going to be hard with the variety of hosts.

From what you've said, I think I'll call the minimum requirements for people, like lower end pc's running 40 or below population. That would be your basic, i'm starting a server to play around and maybe invite some friends.

The recommended requirements section sounds like it should be for the "public" hosts, or people above 40 population, maxing out around 200-400 population.

I think i'll pull up the stats on what it requires to run wow and compare them to the hosts that post their setup. Its likely to be about the same.

Mostly its the software I want to check. Most people don't realize they need .net framework, and what version they need. which I believe anything above 3 is ok. Same with a certain sp1 patch some vista computers need.

I'm definately going to use your milestones idea.

It also depend on OS you use, for example in my case, I have Intel Core 2 Duo 2x2.13ghz and 3GB ram DDR2 (2x512 and 2x1024) and some internet connection (100mbit), when using windows XP with some optimalizations (visual effects down, disabled some not nessesary services etc.) I could handle 200 players - with vmaps allowed only for Dungeons/bg/arenas, latenci was around 50-100 , and sometimes lags.. sometimes big lags.

Now,running on Debian "Lenny" in text mode, I can handle 250 players with no lags and latenci around 40 .. and I think I could handle more.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use