prefix

Question

So i've been testing raid bosses, in Karazhan to be specific, and some of the encounters seem to work fine, but some don't work properly i think?

I read the boss scripts of the current version (develop21) and compared it to the newest one used by ArkCORE. This seems much more updated? Is this something we could integrate into MaNGOS ?

compare:

https://github.com/mangos/ScriptDev3/blob/master/scripts/eastern_kingdoms/karazhan/boss_prince_malchezaar.cpp

to

https://github.com/Arkania/ArkCORE-NG/blob/master/src/server/scripts/EasternKingdoms/Karazhan/boss_prince_malchezaar.cpp

4 answers to this question

When importing an SD2 script from another project, have in mind the two things:

• the need to transfer the corresponding DB data. Without that the imported script will be completely inefficient. The data may be scattered through many tables, so you need a full manual trace of the encounter in the source core;
  • possible differences in the core between the projects. In your example, the Ark script was adopted from the TC while Ark core seemingly supports ScriptedAI::Talk() method. The Mangos does not support it, relying on the older DoScriptText() one. This in turn causes the difference in the table names with the textes (creature_text / script_texts).

After you add to this the usual low quality of the most open-source SD2 scripts (with few lucky exceptions of WotLK dungeons in the TC), the situation turns dark. If someone is qualified enough to adopt the script(s), he would not bother with the adaptation (just to minimize his efforts), fixing/enhancing the present SD3 script instead.

Hey Olion, thanks for you reply even though that was not the answer i was hoping for.

I have a question in response to your post if you have the time :)

In what way is SD3 superior to SD2?

It's so sad that nobody shares their boss scripts and keep them for themselves. People shouldn't be making money of this stuff in the first place. It's all open source.. except the boss scripts apparantely :) When i think about how many times these encounters have probably been coded over and over... If all those efforts were combined i'm sure we'd have perfect boss fights for all encounters.

Anyway i'm ranting, thanks so much for your time it was really enlightening information.

In what way is SD3 superior to SD2?

If you consider just a single Mangos core, one of Zero, One or Two, - then SD3 is inferior to SD2 at the coder level, and is equal at the player level. However when you face the need to maintain the whole line, Zero to Two and even further, then SD3 makes sense as a way of code unification and reusage. A different question, is this unification worth the coder's efforts. [MENTION=2]antz[/MENTION] could provide more arguments for the SD3.

It's all open source.. except the boss scripts apparantely :) When i think about how many times these encounters have probably been coded over and over... If all those efforts were combined i'm sure we'd have perfect boss fights for all encounters.

No, unfortunately "all" of it is not open, because the real work begins only when the content of encounter is implemented fully. Since that, one can ask the questions like "how the wipe is handled?" and "how the boss may be bugged?". The latter one cannot be answered in general without a lot of the good-willing testers (rather, actual players). While few universal recipes (ofc due to badly coded scripts even with "full" boss implementation) are well known, more subtle ones like "class A uses spell X and then immediately Y while the boss is doing action Z under debuff D - then the boss stops retaliating becoming a killable training target" are not unusual.

So, in summary, there is a motivation issue for the both sides, players and server managers/developers. But it's ok because only "coding the same encounter over and over" serves the main goal of such projects: the education :)

If you consider just a single Mangos core, one of Zero, One or Two, - then SD3 is inferior to SD2 at the coder level, and is equal at the player level. However when you face the need to maintain the whole line, Zero to Two and even further, then SD3 makes sense as a way of code unification and reusage. A different question, is this unification worth the coder's efforts. [MENTION=2]antz[/MENTION] could provide more arguments for the SD3.

No, unfortunately "all" of it is not open, because the real work begins only when the content of encounter is implemented fully. Since that, one can ask the questions like "how the wipe is handled?" and "how the boss may be bugged?". The latter one cannot be answered in general without a lot of the good-willing testers (rather, actual players). While few universal recipes (ofc due to badly coded scripts even with "full" boss implementation) are well known, more subtle ones like "class A uses spell X and then immediately Y while the boss is doing action Z under debuff D - then the boss stops retaliating becoming a killable training target" are not unusual.

So, in summary, there is a motivation issue for the both sides, players and server managers/developers. But it's ok because only "coding the same encounter over and over" serves the main goal of such projects: the education :)

Thanks alot for the insightful answer :)

For sure i have already learned alot just by setting up Mangos zero and one :)

It is a little daunting to have to do so much work on the scripts, databases as well as proper "beta testing" on your own :P

I might have reached a dead end for what i can do solo, unless i actually sit down and learn C++ :)

PS: If anyone wants to team up and do this thing properly i think we could have much more fun and learn much much more.

Archived