Best IDE for development under ubuntu?

Guest EnderGT

I just switched to ubuntu (hard drive crashed, so why not take the opportunity to switch since I have to start over anyway), and so I'm looking for a good IDE for C/C++ development. I've tried Eclipse/CDT, but it's horribly slow (freezes for 2-30 sec after every 5-10 keystrokes). Anyone have any experience with anything better? I like IDE's for the code completion and class viewing functionality, built in compiling is a plus. I guess if I have to develop using just gedit and gcc, so be it, but if anyone can suggest something good, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

As for me Eclipse is a very good IDE

but it's quite complicated to write something,

cuz' it's always checking the spelling and so on

after some mysterius timeout :D and keypressed :huh:.

So it needs to be tweaked...

I don't remember how. But my classmate has done it well.

So I am using Eclipse now... ANd I'm happy.

Happy codding EnderGT.:P

Hm the only other "real" IDE that comes to my mind is KDevelop.

I also know a couple of people using VIM (with GUI), it can be "pimped" to something similar to an IDE. But I've always been to lazy to really give it a try.

For code browsing i personally use doxygen generated html docu with all extract options turned on, and for editing just SciTE, and since for most OSS projects you can't do much more than telling your IDE to launch make/cmake/scons when it comes to compiling (unless you want to maintain your own project files), it's no big difference to launching it in a terminal really...

Ah Code::Blocks, i totally forgot it's cross platform. I should give it a try myself eventually.

And i just read Netbeans supports C++ too, apparently it's quite a beast, but maybe that's the kind of thing you're looking for as a visual studio replacement.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use