How to check out older source code?

Guest mrlocus

Well if I see it right, in his case it would be easier to just fetch the rev. he's looking for from old and still working mangosproject svn (git versions aren't taged in revs. so he would have to do some deep searching):

svn co [url]https://mangos.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mangos[/url] mangos

and then

svn up -r 3400

Regards

Skir.

(git versions aren't taged in revs. so he would have to do some deep searching)
Your "deep searching" is just .. start gitk, type "@3000" in the search field, hit enter, right click the commit, select "Reset .. branch to here".

Or you can use "git log --grep=@3000" to find the SHA then "git reset --hard SHA"

Wyk3d

You obvious changed the repos address to a (for me not working) different git repo.

My reply was posted to the first working repo, which imho wouldn't do just "gitk and search 3xxx". It might be just me, but I feel that's (Your "deep searching" is just[...]) somehow unfair

If mrlocus wants rev 3xxx he has now atleast one working way.

Skirnir

Skirnir, I did change the repo link after I talked to freghar and found that this one is much better done but I tested the original one and it worked just fine. I did test exactly what I wrote and it gave me exactly what I wanted immediately. EDIT: ok the new one does work but is set up a bit differently atm, you need to run gitk with "gitk --all" .. after that it's the same, enter it in the search field and it's not at all unfair because you find what you want immediately, and you don't have to copy paste the SHA, you can do what you want, reset to it, by right clicking on it as i wrote above.

So doing it with git is very fast and works just fine. You have an initial download of ~35MB (which at this new link can come with over 2 MB/s) and you have every single revision since the project was created on your hard drive. You will especially feel the difference when you later want to change to other revisions, which is practically instant in GIT but can take a lot of time on svn because you need to do more downloading.

EDIT: remember you need to search for @3000 not 3000 ! ofcourse there are many revs with the number 3000 in the message, but only one with @3000.

Skirnir, I did change the repo link after I talked to freghar and found that this one is much better done but I tested the original one and it worked just fine. I did test exactly what I wrote and it gave me exactly what I wanted immediately. EDIT: ok the new one does work but is set up a bit differently atm, you need to run gitk with "gitk --all" .. after that it's the same, enter it in the search field and it's not at all unfair because you find what you want immediately, and you don't have to copy paste the SHA, you can do what you want, reset to it, by right clicking on it as i wrote above.

So doing it with git is very fast and works just fine. You have an initial download of ~35MB (which at this new link can come with over 2 MB/s) and you have every single revision since the project was created on your hard drive. You will especially feel the difference when you later want to change to other revisions, which is practically instant in GIT but can take a lot of time on svn because you need to do more downloading.

EDIT: remember you need to search for @3000 not 3000 ! ofcourse there are many revs with the number 3000 in the message, but only one with @3000.

Ok,

in this case I was wrong. I just felt that posting a question, and after that changing the subject, just to say "haha dumb-ass" was kinda lame. But I got it wrong and I learned something new about gitk.

Sorry and thanks

Skirnir

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use