[BUG] hit rating

Auntie Mangos

• 39 years later...

Mangos Version: 8860

Wow version: 3.2.2

SD2 Version: 1495

Database Name and Version : UDB 0.11.6 (385)

How it SHOULD work: If you are a Level 80 character with a Weapon Skill of 400 and no talents increasing your chance to hit, you need a Hit Rating of 263 (8.02%) to never miss a shot against a Level 83 boss (or skull mob) with a special attack or single-wield auto-attack. (source: wowwiki)

How it DOES work: tried it with many classes using a slow 2 handed weapon (non dual wielding) that deals physical damage for example DK, warrior, hunter (hunter's weapon is a ranged weapon) and rogue (setup I equipped on purpose just 1 weapon, so I'm not dual wielding at all) with a hit rating of 263 and still getting about 5% misses with white attacks. Even with specials attacks (yellow damage) I see regularly misses.

Extra note: Improving your hit rating above 300 does seem to improve your hit to about 3% less misses.

Extra note 2: Spell hit (source: wowwiki) works flawlessly when you have 17% spell hit cap, 0 spell resist/misses.

Dunno where the real problem lies, but I think it might be something wrong with hit rating itself or lvl 83 boss (or skull mob) has maybe too much avoidance or something like that.

Can confirm this, having 80 prot warr with 290 hit rating, I still miss about 1/10 of combos/auto-attacks. Gets pretty annoying as I often loose aggro thanks to this and the screwed aggro generation.

sorry about offtop but some time ago (~6767) there was feature that miss/dodge/parry saved some energy/rage cost does it exists on blizz servers?

http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t36999-feral_druid_numbers_updated_3_2_2_a/

check any decent class or theory guide.

the needed hit on lvl 80 with 400 weapon skill on a lvl83 /boss mob to not have any miss at all is:

8% for specials (yellow attacks)

??? for white/autohit attacks (+ extra dualwield miss) - this is a lot. impossible to cap without crippling one's dps.

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t64830-dw_builds_3_2_revenge_offhand/ says:

White hits have a hit cap of 27%

keep in mind though, that you will need to have expertise ( Cap vs Level 83 mob = 6.5%(Dodge) / 15%(Parry) ) as well. without a capped expertise "missing" with yellow and white melee attacks is still possible.

spells need 17% hit - some abilities are spells even though one would have thought differently (rogue poisons need 17% hit, for example)

You are aware that the link is about dual-wielding class builds? :rolleyes:

keep in mind though, that you will need to have expertise ( Cap vs Level 83 mob = 6.5%(Dodge) / 15%(Parry) ) as well. without a capped expertise "missing" with yellow and white melee attacks is still possible.

No, not really. You may get "dodged" or "parried" but not "missed" in combat log when you are hit capped...

topic you linked is wrong... AFAIK miss chance for lvl 83 bosses is from 8% to 15% according to offi

Can you provide a link to this change, afaik hit chance used to be 9% in TBC but that changed to 8% in WotLK. For example look up to some Blizzard hunters armory, none have as much hit as 15%. Maybe it wasn't clear in my OP post but the source wowwiki it's actually a link to hit rating page so here it is http://www.wowwiki.com/Hit_rating#Hit_rating_cap

I can only think of 1 reason why you would say it's changed to 15%, you're adding 6.5% chance a boss can dodge attacks or 14% parry if you were to attack a boss in front. So if you count 8% and 6.5% that would be around 15%. But the mistake you made here is to make a boss dodge less is to increase you expertise rating (only for melee classes!) http://www.wowwiki.com/Expertise , hit rating have nothing to do with how much a boss can dodges. So you can never count dodge as a miss.

From experience on Mangos server I noticed expertise is in place, because when I got very low expertise I see my white and special attacks getting dodged.

Nevertheless I did some testing, I fired up my lvl 80 hunter with 288 hit rating (8.78%) on a heroic dummy target autoshot results are:

total 725 - 100%

hit 401 - 55.3%

crit 272 - 37.5%

miss 52 - 7.2%

Hope someone will get this fixed, it's really annoying when casters have a perfectly working hit rating while physical dpsers haven't :)

want to find topic on tankspot, because i'm prefering tank classes, but i couldn't :) i remember, that hit cap was from 8% (HC bosses) to 15% (25man raid bosses)...but maybe, it's changed with 3.2.2 or maybe i'm totally wrong...not sure now...and have no proof :( so i will shut up and waiting for fix :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

My last try.

Hunter with 0 Hit rating + gun skill on 400 according to drdamage all ranged shots hit% is at 92% (how it should be) am getting 17%+ misses with autoshot on heroic test dummy.

Hunter with 263 Hit rating (8,02% hit, according to drdamage hit is now 100%) getting 9% misses with autoshot.

Hunter with 393 Hit rating (almost 11.99% hit, way over the hit cap) getting 5% misses with autoshot.

I have a strong feeling all classes is using this 17% spell hit rating, which is so wrong.

I will reiterate some facts straight from wowwiki site (all can be looked upon):

- 2 handed weapon/ranged weapon requires 8% hit rating

- Dual Wielding 2 1-handed weapon requires 28% hit rating

- Spell hit rating requires 17% hit rating

End of Story.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
why there's no post about spell hit rating? i have a mage and i miss a lot of spells, about 7-10% (249 hit rating+talents)

I made a mage lvl 80 without talents and equip and I hit Heroic target dummy (Boss) with 1000 fireballs. Miss was 15,5%. It is very close to 17%, so i think it's not bugged.

Tried the same with hunter's autoshot and miss 16,4% ...so it's definetely bugged