Converting ArcEmu Lua Engine And Implanting it to MaNGOS Core

• 40 years later...

Converting ArcEmu Lua Engine And Implanting it to MaNGOS Core

idk its called LuaHyperArc i think.

if someone would start doing this project he or she will get a lot of donations , and extreme support due to People who love Arcemu leaving it because MaNGOS will Support Lua.

it seems every Thread about Lua to MaNGOS gets closed or Deleted.

Would The Admins of Getmangos Please think about this before Refusing it and telling us its Not related to core ,

its an ADDON like Scriptdev2 .

I Know 100% .

This IS Not Related to MaNGOS or Getmangos in anyway .

This IS Not Related to Scriptdev2 in anyway.

But it would be a Great asset to use as External Scripting Library.

just like Scriptdev2.

PLEASE READ BELOW AND SEE , IV TAKEN A LOT OF TIME AND SEARCHED A LOT TO FIND THIS

Scriptdev2 Pro's :

• * 1- More commands and styles of code to go over in C++.
    * 2- Extremely Fast to load and Execute.
    * 3- Syntax oriented environment.
    * 4- Very Powerful And Unlimited Functions.
    * 5- C++ is more accepted and can be used in more situations.

Scriptdev2 Con's :

• * 6-Harder language to learn. - You will struggle with the language
    * 7-Harder to code for. - The Code for LUA is soo much simpler.
    * 8-C++ can seem hopelessly complex , and after a few hours , maybe days people tend to stop trying to learn it.

Lua Pro's:

• * 1-Lua is 10x Times Faster to Code in.
    * 2-Lua debugging is a lot easier then C++
    * 3-Lua isn't as slow as people make out. its faster than python and ruby which it is often paired against.
    * 4-Lua has basic programming concepts, Learning Lua Takes about 100% less time then Learning C++
    * 5-Large Number of Coders Able And Welling To Work With This Language.
    * 6-100% Bigger Support then C++ , Due to Lua having Large Number of Experts Compared to C++

if someone would start doing this project he or she will get a lot of donations , and extreme support due to People who love Arcemu leaving it because MaNGOS will Support Lua.

Because appealing to the lowest common denominator is always a good idea. And you will make epic $$$! Sign me up!

And where will this money come from? If I code a Lua engine, will it just start raining down over my house? Will random people mail me checks?

Would The Admins of Getmangos Please think about this before Refusing it and telling us its Not related to core ,

its an ADDON like Scriptdev2 .

In case you haven't noticed, ScriptDev2 has it's own forum and it not discussed here. I would advise you to do the same if you want to have a serious project.

Scriptdev2 Pro's :

• * 1- More commands and styles of code to go over in C++.
    * 2- Extremely Fast to load and Execute.
    * 3- Syntax oriented environment.
    * 4- Very Powerful And Unlimited Functions.
    * 5- C++ is more accepted and can be used in more situations.

The only problem I have with this is "unlimited functions." Any programming language can (theoretically) have "unlimited functions."

Scriptdev2 Con's :

• * 6-Harder language to learn. - You will struggle with the language
    * 7-Harder to code for. - The Code for LUA is soo much simpler.
    * 8-C++ can seem hopelessly complex , and after a few hours , maybe days people tend to stop trying to learn it.

Ooooh, an actual programming language. Scary.

Also, you try reading some serious Lua code, and then tell me it's "soo much simpler". Hint: if you don't know what meta-tables are, you aren't going to get very far with your brain intact.

Lua Pro's:

• * 1-Lua is 10x Times Faster to Code in for Novice and Normal People.
    * 2-Lua debugging is a lot easier then C++
    * 3-Lua isn't as slow as people make out. its faster than python and ruby which it is often paired against.
    * 4-Lua has basic programming concepts, Learning Lua Takes about 100% less time then Learning C++
    * 5-Large Number of Coders Able And Welling To Work With This Language.
    * 6-100% Bigger Support then C++ , Due to Lua having Large Number of Experts Compared to C++

I would argue against the Lua debugging part. C++ debuggers, such as the one included with Visual Studio or GDB, are much more powerful than what Lua has. Being able to step-through a program line by line until you find the problem I have yet to see on Lua.

It may have basic programming concepts, but the loose nature of the language would make it harder for a beginner, I'd say. It's easier to learn in a more rigid environment like C or Java that enforces syntax rules and variable typing than something like Lua.

I would also argue against the large number of "experts" you claim Lua has. How many of these people are actually experts? Would you consider yourself an expert? If so, when's the last time you used associative arrays or object tables?

Now, for balance, I present:

Lua Cons:

• * 1 - Lua is slow. When you have to make thousands of script calls per second to run your server's AI code, suddenly this will start mattering.
    * 2 - Lua is complex, convoluted, and confusing. Read up on meta-tables. Then pick up the pieces of your head that resulted from the explosion.
    * 3 - Everything is a table. See above.
    * 4 - All tables are on stacks, and the entire API consists of functions to access the stacks. See above.
    * 5 - Garbage collection means no memory leaks, right? Right...?!
    * 6 - It is a structured language pretending to be an object-oriented one. Therefore, objects perform even slower than the rest, and when you are putting it on to of a C++ project, everything is an object (table)
    * 7 - The dynamic typing and loose syntax make it a poor language to learn programming with.
    * 8 - Little actual support. If one person makes a Lua engine for mangos, then about one person will actually be able to support it (i.e. fix bugs, add new features, etc.) Most of the users will only be using it because they can't code in C++, and will be of little actual help.

Now, please stop talking about Lua. If you are serious about it, start a project, open a repo, and start up a forum. Or, god forbid, actually learn C++ and code it yourself. Believe it or not, people aren't born with the mark of the programmer. Anyone can learn the language and be successful.

Can someone please close this? There are enough "gief lua" threads on here already. We don't need another one.

As people in this thread have already said, the best chance of getting support for a project like this is to either:

1) Open your own repo, forum, etc.

or

2) Try at ScriptDev2, as they are an external scripting library themselves.

Number 1 will probably get you further, as I don't see SD2 moving development away from their own work.

Agree Pat. If I knew enough C++, I wouldn't mind helping, but I'm still learning. Stop asking for it guys, and take some action towards actually making it.

Even if you aren't a coder, you can still learn. Or you can even open a forum. None of these people seem to have figured this out yet.

Well, if its any help, there once WAS an alternative for ScriptDev : MangoScript that me & Derex did (ok, mostly Derex :P) that added lua-scripting support.

Found some old repo of it, might it be of any use for you : http://code.google.com/p/mangos-luascript/source/list :)

Reason I'm posting here again : soon I'll have access to a dedi server again, and might pick up on my old coding idea (if it hasn't been done yet) : Guild Wars :P

Putting aside the flames, arguments over why Lua sucks, and Lua vs. <insert scripting language here>, I truly do hope someone will eventually get off their duff and actually take action. Begging, cajoling, whining, shouting, and threatening to kick someone's dog will not accomplish anything except making your presence unwelcome.

Anyone that believes the MaNGOS devs, or any other project, will suddenly say "OMG! You are so right, dude! We'll get on this right away!", is a new kind of epic lame. It's been said so many times that you'd think the MaNGOS Lua proponents would finally get the point and either put up or shut up. If you expect others to cater to your desires and make something to order, go to McDonald's.

I'm sick of all these kids who think work is what other people do to give them something! Nothing worth having is ever easy. If you're not willing to do it yourself, or at least give real help, you have no right to ask others to do it for you.

If you want MaNGOS to support Lua scripting, then take that desire and DO SOMETHING!

That said, I wish such a project the best of luck and look forward to the amazing contributions that will be made to the MaNGOS community by those who can and will do for themselves.

Well, I'm happy to use my current hosting to put up a site/forum/whatever for those who would be interested in running such a project. I've been using LuaHypArc and an Arc server to practice my Lua, so having the language as an addon to MaNGOS would be great for me, and I'm sure there are plenty of others who can understand Lua but can't get their heads around C++ just yet.

http://www.mangos-lua.tk/forum/

I am pretty impressed. I might actually help out now, but I can't officially support whatever Lua engine work I do for 2 reasons:

1 - I am very busy with other work right now.

2 - I really can't deal with all the "doesnt compil plz fixxx!!111" that patch authors seem to get.

But that aside, I might definitely contribute some stuff to help you guys get started.

I am pretty impressed. I might actually help out now, but I can't officially support whatever Lua engine work I do for 2 reasons:

1 - I am very busy with other work right now.

2 - I really can't deal with all the "doesnt compil plz fixxx!!111" that patch authors seem to get.

But that aside, I might definitely contribute some stuff to help you guys get started.

I can help with 2 :D