Unknown pets

I think it may have started back with rev 9605 (commit 6a5f80bb). I remember updating around this rev because I was thinking it would fix a problem I had noticed with the npc summoned imp minions. It is also around the time of one of the branch merges though.

This may be where the pets started moving slowly to a different point as mentioned in http://getmangos.eu/community/showthread.php?13993-strange-bug.

I could see how the movement problem could be affected by SetSummonPoint, but not how the name could be. Unless perhaps, it isn't sending the pet packet containing the name, because it thinks the pet is elsewhere.

It may be a different rev around this one though, but I had updated when I saw that commit posted. My wife and I play with a warlock and hunter.

Hopefully, this will be helpful to someone trying to track it down.

• 40 years later...

Hi, does anyone know why there is a lot of cases when pet is summoned as "Unknown"? Itryed to simmulate but cannot summon pet without name on my server. It happens usually after server crash or summoning by meeteing stone or warlock etc. Unfortunetely I tried a lot of things on my server but summon was correct :\\ I guess sometimes not all pet data are correctly saved or loaded from database so the pet is unknown and combat log cannot work. It's anoying for raid dps meters and for gm's to check possible bugers or cheaters. Now with WOTLK the number of unknown pets is huge.

I have had this issue as well. Pet names are correctly shown in the DB table, but when loggin into game "most" pets display as "Unknown" as well as the pet action bar not being there until you mount and dismount again. I type /reload to get the pet's name to display again. Zoning however, removes it and changes back to "Unknown" once again.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...