Possible no loss from 32bit to 64bit switch?

Guest EARTHWALKER

Hey all. The memory restriction in 32bit are nagging me, so tempted to update from windows 7 32bit to windows 7 64bit.

Is it possible to backup the mysql databases install 7 64bit, re-git grab, recompile and put it back with no loss? If not, then I'll stick with 32bit.

I've never used or seen 64bit, so don't really know if there are massive changes as to the way things work, or even if all of the software we use (.net, git, visual c++, etc), will work.

I have 12gigs of 1066 ram just waiting to replace my 400htz 3 gig pile of pants ram and am rather eager...but cautious :D

Hey all. The memory restriction in 32bit are nagging me, so tempted to update from windows 7 32bit to windows 7 64bit.

Is it possible to backup the mysql databases install 7 64bit, re-git grab, recompile and put it back with no loss? If not, then I'll stick with 32bit.

I've never used or seen 64bit, so don't really know if there are massive changes as to the way things work, or even if all of the software we use (.net, git, visual c++, etc), will work.

I have 12gigs of 1066 ram just waiting to replace my 400htz 3 gig pile of pants ram and am rather eager...but cautious :D

you surely will have a loss of time :-D

the Database Values can be backed up as SQL statements so no loss of data.

just download the Platform SDK for Windows 7: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c17ba869-9671-4330-a63e-1fd44e0e2505&displaylang=en

then you have to set the compiler for x64 in VS (use VS2010: http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/ & http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/bb984878.aspx) to the compiler in the PSDK.

for the db you have to use the 'mysqldump' command to dump the database and then you get a .sql file which you can run again on your new db to re-load it.

Yes They are correct, Data is Data and will not change but your going to need to update your compiler, and use the 64bit version of mysql on the program side, the benifit is tremendous considering the ability to parse far more data at a time plus the benifits to machine speed, Muli-tasking, and a greater base of memory availible....on my single core test bed (Athalon64 400+) I have it loaded up with 8gigs, and running mysql, Teamspeak, Mangos, Apachee, Halo 1and 2 in Server mode with almost no slow down...on my quad-core I've got as many as 30 apps at a time with an average of 12 normally and yes both machines are running Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Just thought I would comment that the data in the MySQL databases is not platform specific. A TINYINT in 32bit is 1Byte and in 64bit is still 1Byte. A lot of the data stored in the database is already 64bit (timestamps for example). So your OS bit value has no affect on what MySQL understands as an INT or BIGINT or any other data type.

I'm sure everyone would want to know if you have any issues migrating the databases from 32bit to 64bit as opposed to just a complete fresh install of everything, I would like to do this with my server as well (Just don't have the time or money currently)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use